Mar 16, 2010, 1:55 PM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Drew Storen allowed his first runs of the spring last night.
VIERA, Fla. — Good morning from Space Coast Stadium, where following last night's loss to the Braves everyone is experiencing the first of what will be many quick turnarounds this season. Everyone seems to drag a little bit in these cases, especially in spring training, where your body gets used to the early-morning routine and then gets thrown off when the rare night game hits the schedule.
The Nationals are playing split-squad games today — home against the Marlins, on the road against the Cardinals in Jupiter — and in a rarity, the manager and top starting pitcher are making the road trip. So John Lannan, Jim Riggleman and several other regulars are currently on a bus somewhere on I-95. Meanwhile, back here in Viera, bench coach John McLaren is leading the rest of the guys (including starter Craig Stammen) against the Marlins.
(Question: If the home team wins today but the road team loses, does Riggleman still get credit for managing the Nats' first win of the spring? I'm thinking no.)
This kind of got lost in the shuffle last night, but Drew Storen experienced his first hiccup of the spring. Gave up two runs and three hits to the Braves, the first time he's been scored upon this monthRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip
- Cabrera out of lineup, but not seriously injured