Mar 18, 2010, 8:11 PM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg starts Friday night against the Cardinals.
VIERA, Fla. — When the Nationals return to the field tomorrow night, Stephen Strasburg will be on the mound. The rookie right-hander is due to make his third start of the spring, facing the Cardinals for the second time in five days.
Not that each of Strasburg's outings aren't worth watching, but you might really want to make a point to keep up with this one. It may be the last chance we get to see the 21-year-old against big-league hitters for a while.
The Nationals haven't announced any plans for Strasburg beyond this week, but there's a really good chance this will be his final start in big-league camp. Unless the club intends to put him in the Opening Day rotation — and all signs continue to point to that NOT happening — there are plenty of reasons to send him over to the minor-league side in the next week…
1. The club has planned all along to pitch Strasburg only in home games this spring. His next turn in the rotation comes Wednesday, and the Nats are playing at the Yankees that night. He's not making that trip.
2. If Strasburg isn't in the Opening Day rotation, someone else needs to take his place. That man looks like Livan Hernandez, who is slated to pitch on the minor-league side tomorrow to get his work in but ultimately needs to face major-league hitters and build up his pitchRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates
- Roark will return to Nats' rotation with Fister out
- Scherzer tries to beat Phillies again
- Nats activate Janssen to make 2015 debut, send Solis to DL
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy