Mar 18, 2010, 2:29 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Willie Harris could wind up with considerable playing time in right field now.
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals have their lone off-day of the spring today, a welcome respite for those who have been reporting to Space Coast Stadium at the crack of dawn every morning for the last month. There's no rest for the club's front office or coaching staffs, though, not with so much still to sort out before the team breaks camp in two weeks and heads north.
And in the wake of yesterday's stunning release of Elijah Dukes, there's a new dilemma on the club's hands: Figuring out who's going to take over in right field.
It would be one thing if the Dukes move was made because the organization had a sure-fire replacement ready to go. But that's not the case, one reason yesterday's announcement confounded so many. Plain and simple, the Nationals don't have a bonafide, everyday right fielder on their roster at the moment.
And that could be a serious problem. Right field is a premium position in the big leagues, one generally occupied by premier players like Ichiro Suzuki, Andre Ethier, Magglio Ordonez, J.D. Drew, Justin Upton and Jayson Werth. Try to find a good team that doesn't have a top-notch right fielder; there aren't many. (The best example may be the Rays, who last year went with a combo of Gabe Gross, Gabe Kapler and Ben Zobrist. But at least the rest of the Tampa Bay's lineupRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Heyward's 2B keys rally as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nationals open pivotal series in St. Louis
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins