Mar 21, 2010, 9:29 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
John Lannan was sharp today during his five innings.
JUPITER, Fla. — It's getting to that time of the spring where guys who know they're going to make the roster need to step up and get into regular-season mode, and where guys who are still fighting to make the roster need to step up and seize the opportunity.
Today, we saw some good examples of both scenarios from several players. Let's run through them…
The de facto ace of the Nationals staff — at least until June, that is — has had a pretty quiet spring. And I mean that in a good way. Lannan has simply gone out when called upon and done his job with little fanfare. He's preparing himself for that projected April 5 start against Roy Halladay and the Phillies, and he's right on track to slide effortlessly into regular-season mode. "The quieter, the better," manager Jim Riggleman said. "He's the ultimate pro, in terms of his preparation, his competitiveness out there. A very low-maintenance guy. Just put him out there and let him go." Today, Lannan allowed one earned run and four hits over five strong innings against theRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Ben Revere fill void left by Span?