Mar 22, 2010, 1:31 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Chris Duncan, who hit .156 this spring, was re-assigned to minor-league camp.
VIERA, Fla. — More roster reductions this morning: Chris Duncan and Pete Orr have been re-assigned to minor-league camp, while Shairon Martis has been optioned to Class AAA Syracuse.
Duncan had the best shot of making the club when camp opened, hoping to rediscover the form that made him a semi-regular for the World Series champion Cardinals in 2006. But the first baseman/outfielder never found his hitting stroke, and despite work with coach Rick Eckstein to make changes, wasn't able to transfer that into results in game situations. He hit .156 (5-for-32) with seven RBI in 12 spring games.
Martis, who made the Opening Day rotation last year as the Nationals' No. 4 starter, hasn't been the same since getting sent to Class AAA last summer. He allowed eight runs and 10 hits in 5 1/3 innings this spring. Manager Jim Riggleman did say, though, he believes theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement