Nats vs. Mets — 3/22/10

Mar 22, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis is slated to throw five innings today.

VIERA, Fla. — It's another cloudy, windy day in Florida. What a horrible spring weather-wise. (And yes, I know I promised way back when I wouldn't complain about the weather. I lied.)

Anyways, the Nationals and Mets are preparing to meet once again, with a matchup of projected No. 2 starters: Jason Marquis and Mike Pelfrey. Marquis' place in the Nats' rotation is secure, though it sure would be nice to see him put together a solid outing and lower that 21.94 spring ERA.

The entire Nats' rotation is definitely taking shape. As we've been saying for a while, Marquis, John Lannan and Garrett Mock are in. This morning, Jim Riggleman said four guys remain in the mix for the other two spots: Scott Olsen, Livan Hernandez, Craig Stammen and J.D. Martin.

Let's be honest, though. Hernandez is a pretty safe bet to make it. And Martin isn't under serious consideration — he hasn't appeared in a big-league game since March 10 and isn't scheduled to pitch in one over the next three days. So really, this boils down to Olsen vs. Stammen, and by tomorrow night, we might have a much better grasp on that competition. Stammen is slated to follow Marquis today and throw four innings. Olsen is slated to start tomorrow against the Tigers and pitch five innings. If his velocity is still in the mid-80s, it's hard to believe he's going to get the nod come April. Stammen could also help his cause with a strong performance today.

Be sure to check back for updates throughout the afternoon, and check the homepage for any non-game news…

METS AT NATIONALS
Space Coast Stadium, Viera, Fla.
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
TV/Radio: No TV/WFED-1500 AM
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 66 degrees, Wind 16 mph RF to LF

STARTING LINEUPS
NATIONALS
SS Cristian Guzman
2B Adam Kennedy
1B Adam Dunn

1. joNAThan - Mar 22, 2010 at 4:03 PM

If Pelfrey is the Mets #2 starter….am I crazy to dream the Nats may move out of last place this year?

2. Anonymous - Mar 22, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Do you mean Rueben Tejada is playing SS for the Mets?? I'm pretty sure Miguel plays for that other team up 95.

3. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 4:21 PM

joNAThan, look at Marquis spring ERA and say that. If Strasburg, Storen, Detwiler (betcha he ends up there with the rest) and Thompson perform well in Harrisburg and then come up in June/July you might be right. Otherwise …

4. Mark Zuckerman - Mar 22, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Anon: Yes, that would be Ruben Tejada, not Miguel. My mistake. I guess I just looked at that impressive Mets travel roster and subconsciously figured they had to be sending at least a couple of big names!

5. Anonymous - Mar 22, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Mark,Is there any place to find some results from the minor league games that started on Saturday?Ryan

6. Anonymous - Mar 22, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Great coverage Mark.So this means the rotation is more than likely set unless Olsen progresses dramatically or Livo or Stammen completely implode or get injured, and that's not going to happen Livo has an arm like a Goodyear tire.Furthermore if Stammen makes the rotation then Batista probably gets the long reliever role in the pen. Leaving only one bullpen spot between Tyler Walker and Jesse English. Rizzo signed Walker to the 40 man roster because he wants Walker to make this team. English has never pitched above AA and I see him starting this season in Harrisburg as Storen's setup man.With Bruntlett looking like he has beat out Gonzo for the back up middle infielder spot and Morse beating out Duncan, is the 4th outfielder spot the last remaining opening that is still totally up for grabs? Oh and I guess the starting shortstop, I wouldn't be surprised to see Guzman join Olsen on the DL to start the season.

7. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Still reeling from all of those losses to Benard Madoff? Makes the Lerners all the more impressive financially … maybe they look at free agent signings like "Madoff's"

8. Mark Zuckerman - Mar 22, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Ryan: I don't believe they keep full stats on the minor-league spring games. There are a lot of unconventional things happening at those games — rehabbing guys getting extra at-bats and leading off every inning, innings ending once a pitcher reaches his limit even if he hasn't recorded three outs. I'd classify these more as scrimmages than anything.

9. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Sure looks to me like velocity is important else why not keep trying Martin? If it is then why are they beating a dead horse in Olsen? Perhaps to keep his ego intact after all of his hard work they make him one of the very last cuts? If they happen to send Detwiler to Harrisburg it sure looks to me like they could have a younger, and possibly better and more competitive rotation come June and July just by pulling from there. I wonder if Strasburg won't come directly from Harrisburg BYPASSING Syracuse given the marked difference between the two rosters as this year? Kind of different from last year when guys did their rehab in Harrisburg.Syracuse : veteran depth, injury rehab?Harrisburg: best almost major league ready prospects?

10. Anonymous - Mar 22, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I don't understand why J.D. Martin isn't being seriously considered for a spot in the rotation.Over his last 13 starts last season, he pitched very well:3-2, 3.71, .264/.330/.455, 62% strikes, 9.4/2.5/3.9

11. natsfan1a - Mar 22, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Geez, we drew a Wendelstedt crew again.

12. kevin rusch - Mar 22, 2010 at 5:29 PM

the JD Martin question is a good one. I hold no illusions that he's going to Cooperstown, or even the Bronx, but it does kinda look like he'd be in the nats' top 8 starters, and thus deserve serious consideration for the rotation. as for Livo's goodyear arm, I can also throw 150 pitches over the heart of he plate at 60mph. However, 150 pitches like that may not get you out of the first inning. :)

13. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 5:32 PM

JD Martin will likely end up in the rotation sooner or later … on sheer competitive desire not velocity. I am hopeful that LIvan takes him under his wing and shows him some of his tricks … he might become a great pitcher if he learns some of Livan's pitches. The Nats want fireballers. Its why the drafted guys like Karns and Holder. Picked up Rafael Martin. Its why you almost have to wonder if Rizzo won't try to grab up that 100mph fastball high school prospect.

14. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Mark, has Guzman had any chances yet at short? You would think with Marquis he would get a number of them?

15. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Seeing 4 fly-outs against 0 ground outs? That doesn't look that good for Marquis? Is it the windy conditions? Or is he still leaving balls up?

16. Positively Half St. - Mar 22, 2010 at 5:59 PM

The Yankees sent Bruney to the Nats for our Rule 5 pick. The Yankees just returned that player back to the dodgers, so we essentially got Bruney for free.

17. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Does anyone know how Guzman is looking?

18. natsfan1a - Mar 22, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Hammer time! Break it down…

19. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Morse's average has dropped to .229. I guess Willie Harris is your new right fielder … unless Riggleman convinces Rizzo to let him start an play Desmond in right. ~laughing~ Looks like a trade may be in the offing. They have lots of spare arms down in the minors looking for homes. If you think about it … there are some in the majors as well.

20. Positively Half St. - Mar 22, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Seems Marquis is back in the 5th. Five innings with 3 given up would be more respectable, but certainly not that great.

21. natsfan1a - Mar 22, 2010 at 6:30 PM

LOL!—Stop! Hammer time! Again!

22. natsfan1a - Mar 22, 2010 at 6:34 PM

What is this, the HR Derby? The Hammer vs. RZ.

23. Positively Half St. - Mar 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM

I hope Walker gets at least one more inning to drop his astronomical ERA, as well.

24. natsfan1a - Mar 22, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Awww, a single. :-( I thought JW might homer for a natural cycle. (Just kidding.)

25. natsfan1a - Mar 22, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Yeah, sounds more like this:http://tinyurl.com/yg82lut:-)—Stop! Zimmer time! Again! (Doesn't quite sound right.)

26. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Looking at the WHIPs of the starters:JD Martin is the best this spring with a WHIP of 0.60Lannan 0.82Thompson 0.95Strasburg 1.00Mock 1.36Stammen 1.69Battista 1.80Hernandez 2.00Martis 2.06Atilano 2.10Olsen 2.20 I think this is a pretty good reflection of what the rotation will be like in June and July. Maybe JZimm will show up too.

27. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Mark what do you think Taveras' chances are of winning that right field job? He may not have the arm that Morse has but he used to start in center. And he is hitting. I imagine he could bat second as an alternative to Kennedy?

28. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Marquis got dropped off the end. He is last with a 3.38 WHIP before today.

29. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 7:35 PM

No, I can say #2 starter. Marquis with a 3.38 WHP? That's a #5 starter close to DFA.

30. Anonymous - Mar 22, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Morse got a hit! For that matter so did Marquis. Maxwell couldn't do anything again with the bat. When the pitchers are out slugging you, it is time to join Chris Duncan and get re-tooled.Maxwell last year was the man of 2 seasons.

31. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Speaking of slumps … Dunn is hitting .208 this spring.

32. natsfan1a - Mar 22, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Gah! Stupid 1500 radio feed…

33. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Guzman also went 0 for 4 leading off. Then Bruntlett comes in and immediately gets a hit. Guzman is this year's Kearns. Except he has a much worst attitude thanKearns ever did. So he is definitely worst.Marquis looks to be this year's Daniel Cabrera. Making Rizzo look kind of bad …

34. Anonymous - Mar 22, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Real solid outing by Stammen!!!!!!! Decent results from Marquis!When is Livan Hernandez going to start a game against an "A" squad so he can get evaluated. It just looks to me that he is another veteran that will be given the benefit of the doubt. If I were behind him on the depth chart and sent to Syracuse, I would be upset. We need to see more of JD Martin and Olsen.*I see Lannan, Marquis, Stammen, Mock, and Olsen as my starting rotation.*

35. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Watch them bring in Capps and lose the game.

36. natsfan1a - Mar 22, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Glad to learn that they held on to the lead.

37. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM

You get to see Olsen tomorrow. If he gets bombed you can almost bet he will be one of the very last cuts and get optioned to Syracuse. Looks like that may be they plan on doing the rehabilitation thing this year.

38. Steve M. - Mar 22, 2010 at 7:55 PM

39. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 7:55 PM

That makes 5 errors for Desmond. He is either in Syracuse starting at short or he is in right field I guess.

40. PDowdy83 - Mar 22, 2010 at 7:56 PM

peric, don't be silly Cabrera never made it to the 4th inning. Lighten up on Marquis a little. He improved on his last performance greatly and I have a feeling his next time out will be better than today and you will have the starter everyone expected and average big league pitcher who can save the bullpen from having to pitch in 4 innings a game. Not saying he is great, just saying I still think he will end up being adequate and make decent trade bait if he gets himself together.Could be worse, we could be paying him what the Brewers are paying Jeff Suppan, yikes…what a bad contract.

41. Anonymous - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Peric, come on with your ridiculous statements. Trevor Holder is not a fireballer. Not even close. You can't find any scouting reports in the last year that say that. Just because Rizzo drafted Strasburg and Karns, doesn't mean he is looking for fireballers.

42. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:02 PM

@SteveM,Who asked you? You sound like a neurotic jerk, who likes attacking people and their opinions as a way of ego propping? Perhaps its therapy? Get a life dude! I am betting 50-1 that you are too timid, socially anxious, and downright paranoid to venture any opinions except those of your wife or significant other.Yes, Guzman's attitude is worst than Kearns! When they asked him to play second what did he say? When he was asked about open competition between he and Desmond what did he say? Dude you are way out of line with YOUR negative amateur and immature psychology!I recommend gaining some entry-level experience with the illiterate knuckle-dragging mouth-breathers in my "Similar Users" box. Just look at them sitting down there like a panel of socially inept misfits and desperate virgins — I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them wants you to join him on his webcam so he can show you his junk and gag himself with a poopy-trailed pair of undies.

43. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Holder has a 95MPH fastball and is know for having good stuff. Karns is 97MPH. Next …What happened when Guzman was asked to play second? When he was told that there was an open competition with Desmond? Did Kearns do anything like that? Ever? No. Next …Marquis LOOKS TERRIBLE! He is supposed to be the veteran leader of this staff? WTF are you guys thinking? He looks as scary as Cabrera right now with a 3.26WHIP!!!!Finally, this team LOST over 100 games TWICE IN A row. They are in last place in the grapefruit league. This is NOT good no matter how you try to slice it. It isn't negative, it IS the plain facts.

44. Anonymous - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:08 PM

pericMy thoughts also. ID is making too many errors to be considered an everyday SS.

45. Anonymous - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Peric, where are you getting 95 MPH from? He throws 95 just as often as John Lannan throws 95. Even if he threw 95, it doesn't make him a fireballer because that would be his absolute peak. He's likely going to pitch 90-91, hardly a fireballer.In this report, they have him at 86-92 and one scout had him peak at 93. http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/draft/2008/Rounds/round10.aspxBaseball America had him at 88-91Basically, you are basing his velocity off of 1 baseball america article that had him at 91-94 with a peak of 95 in the spring. Everywhere else had him in the 88-92 range. When I saw him pitch in the College World Series, it was nowhere near 95. He is not a fireballer considering that John Lannan pitches 87-91.

46. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:24 PM

"Is there a way to get rid of this peric guy?"At least I'm not shivering in fear hiding behind a nome-de-plume mr. anonymous when I post. Perhaps I should just start posting anonymously and find ways to attack people like you appear to be doing? What a cowardly, and ill mannered person you must be.

47. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Holder apparently through 95 and even as high as 97 in the Cape Cod league as well.But you are right. Its not the velocity so much as they say he has really good stuff. Its up to the pitching coaches to make him a pitcher. He is a fighter like JD Martin. I strongly suspect they will succeed with him. I am willing to bet on it.And ***I** am accused of being negative … sheesh you people!

48. Steve M. - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Peric, you got me figured out HAHA. I just have faith generally in Rizzo that he will piece it together. I think he was wrong to let Dukes go when he did and right about so many other moves.I just don't like tearing up a guy for fun when you don't know his attitude like Guzman. There isn't a negative quote you could get because he is rarely quoted.Comparing Marquis to Daniel Cabrera was just ridiculous unless clearly meant as a joke which I don't think you did.

49. erocks33 - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:29 PM

50. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:32 PM

"Comparing Marquis to Daniel Cabrera was just ridiculous unless clearly meant as a joke which I don't think you did."Yes, an ironic half serious joke … his spring training record concerns me given that he was dubbed "the savior" of the pitching staff. A veteran presence that was supposed to be night-and-day to Cabrera! I am NOT seeing it? The guy has yet to last more than 2 innings without getting bombed, fortunately today he was relieved.I am betting we could go back through the blogs and find people saying the same thing about Cabrera last spring.

51. Anonymous - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:34 PM

@Peric,This is just getting ridiculous/hilarious. Don't throw around words like "nome-de-plume"[sic] if you do not know what they mean, it makes you sound like Mike Tyson. Merriam Websters defines nom de plume as a pseudonym or pen name, so unless peric is your real name, why are you hiding behind a nom de plume slinging insults on a baseball blog?Anyone that has to challenge the character of anonymous posters on a baseball blog is a sad little person, grow up peric and stop trying to ruin the dialogue on this blog they way you did on the nats insider blog on wapo.com, periculum.

52. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:35 PM

"erocks33 said…Seriously, can we option peric down to the minors right now?! When is it okay to spew personal attacks because you don't like one's constructive criticism?"Gee do you even comprehend English or are you in need of remedial courses? "Peric, it is fine to be semi-pessimistic some of the time but you are grouchy and negative most of the time and always looking at the glass half empty.Marquis is nothing like Cabrera and who are you to judge Guzman's attitude??????"In CASE you are that ignorant the above is DEFINITELY a personal attack. You should be summarily released for lacking basic understanding of the English language dude.

53. Anonymous - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Peric, He doesn't have good stuff or else people wouldn't have questioned that pick. Here is a good summary of him:"Bryan Smith (7:15:53 PM PT): To lead off the third round, the Nationals took Trevor Holder from the University of Georgia. This is just, kind of a weird pick. Holder doesn't have very good stuff, and I just don't see him being a viable Major Leaguer. There's about 50 guys with better stuff available, which tells you that this is going to be a real cheap sign."Everywhere, the consensus is that he had average stuff at best. Citing Cape Cod reports from 3 years ago doesn't mean anything. It's like a fan saying today that Joba Chamberlain can throw 100 based off his velocity 3 years ago. His velocity either went down which seems normal or that he never had that velocity because it was based off a dubious scout. I have a hard time believing that a pitcher who threw 97 is continually cited in the high eighties in scouting reports without ever mentioning that he once threw 97.

54. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:40 PM

"Anyone that has to challenge the character of anonymous posters on a baseball blog is a sad little person, grow up peric and stop trying to ruin the dialogue on this blog they way you did on the nats insider blog on wapo.com, periculum."- Reminds me: please don't write to me in French. I hate that. dude.

55. Mark Zuckerman - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Folks, how about some substantive baseball discussion here instead of childish name-calling. Thank you.

56. Anonymous - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Mark, what are the chances both JMaxx and Bernie end up in AAA with Willy as our everyday right fielder and Wily as the 4th outfielder?

57. Mark Zuckerman - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Ah, that's more like it. … I think Maxwell and Bernadina could both wind up at Syracuse, though I don't think Willie Harris would be the everyday right fielder. He could get a good chunk of time there, maybe platooning with Mike Morse, but he's not going to start 162 games. Willy Taveras is interesting. He's a great defensive outfielder (though he did drop that routine line drive today in the ninth) who doesn't hit a ton but is deadly on the bases when he does reach safely. He may wind up being one of the toughest calls at the end of camp.

58. John d - Mar 22, 2010 at 8:58 PM

I don't understand how it seems nobody takes Desmond to the side and hit him 100 groundballs a day. Is it me or does it seem they just throw him out there and hope he fixes his fielding on his own? This kids gonna be good but somebody please take him to the practice field and work with him!!!

59. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 9:05 PM

John d. Byron Kerr talks about this over at MASN. He seems to have spent the winter playing just to accomplish that? To come in here and win the job. Not sure what more they can do?

60. Nervous Nats Fan - Mar 22, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Are there any rumors that they are concerned about Marquis' not-so-good start, or is this one of Rizzo's "they shouldn't keep stats in spring training" examples?

61. greg - Mar 22, 2010 at 9:09 PM

i think the fact that taveras is a "tough call at the end of spring training" says a lot about the lack of quality depth in the OF position the nats have. and really, that they've had for several years now. and the fact that there's really not much in the way of true quality prospects anywhere close to the majors right now. lots of potentially AAAA guys or guys with Qs. the corner OF position needs to be addressed in FA (or trade) next season (along with at least one MI guy to go with (hopefully) desmond). and i'm with mark on name calling. grow up. that said, if you can't take criticism of your opinion, it would behoove you not to post it on a public blog. this becomes a much less interesting place to be if it's going to devolve into "no you're a stupidhead" territory.

62. Mark Zuckerman - Mar 22, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Nervous Nats Fan: I wouldn't say they're terribly concerned about Marquis, though they're not totally relaxed, either. Today was a better step for him. He's got two more starts this spring. They hope each subsequent one is better than the previous.

63. JayB - Mar 22, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Got a Adam Kennedy splintered bat landing in my row today. Bunch of older guys with me and it could have killed them. The thing was dripping with Pine Tar and nobody wanted it. How do you tell if it was Maple anyway, it was like a spear? Guy next to me took it home…..Did not think the airlines would like me bring it on the plan it on or my wife would let it into the luggage. Anyhow had another great day at Minor League Camp. Love how they are stepping up fundamentals over another year I have been there. Two kids got pulled right off the field in the middle of inter squad game for bad plays. One kid did not get in front of a ground ball and one kid who looked like a Suzuki clone did not run hard on what should have been a bloop double down the line. D. White pulled him right off first and said "come on kid we are going to learn how to run". Took him to a side field and ran him home to 2nd about 10 times full speed. Love it, Love it – the kid will learn more from that then any Acta teaching and preaching soft love crap.Jason M. looked fine to me. He is not an Ace guys. He is what he is. He can hit too. Mike Morse had a bunch of good routes in RF. He will be the starter with Willie going against tough RHP I think. Steven S. was working in the cage at Minor League Camp. Really working hard on fake bunt and pull it back and slap it to the right side. No coaches no other players around just working on his own on hitting. He is going to be great because he is willing to work on everything to get better. Guzman could have made a statement on and infield in ball hit on a high hope to him but no…..he did not have any intention of showing he can throw with authority….he just looped a lollipop over to Dunn and let the run score.

64. Anonymous - Mar 22, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Marc: I predicted a week ago that Guz starts the season on the DL (I also think he'll be released before September, but that's another story). Why keep him on the active roster is he can't make the throw? Fans aren't going to tolerate that no matter how much cash he's making. Other than his throwing, how is his defensive range and his base running? Those were problems last year because of bunyons, etc.Thanks,Brian

65. erocks33 - Mar 22, 2010 at 9:42 PM

thanks for the insight, JayB!

66. Anonymous - Mar 22, 2010 at 9:46 PM

I think everyone knows peric makes up a lot of stuff. And a good portion doesn’t make any sense. My apologies to Posnanski but the following is the peric ballad. The Peric BalladThe Lerner’s are cheap!The Lerner’s are cheap?They must be cheap! Just look at the team!The team sucks.THIS TEAM SUCKS!Because the Lerners are cheap.But they wouldn’t be cheap if they signed Chapman!Sign Chapman?Sign Chapman!Chapman can pitch in the rotation today!Chapman can pitch today?But they didn’t sign Chapman!Why didn’t they sign Chapman!?!Because the Lerner’s are CHEAP.Well at least they have Rizzo.Yes they have Rizzo but they don’t have any pitchers. The Nationals have no pitchers?Well Marquis is terrible!Isn’t he supposed to be the veteran?Marquis is a veteran! A terrible veteran!His WHIP is 3.23!!!!But it is Spring Training.It is Spring Training!Marquis did this last Spring Training.But Marquis is terrible, look at his WHIP!Didn’t Marquis make the All-Star team last year?Yes, but Marquis was left off the playoff roster because he was no ace.Marquis is no ace.If Marquis is no ace then the Nationals have no pitchers.But the Nationals DO have some good minor league pitchers.I thought you said the Nationals had no pitchers?Yes, the Nationals have pitchers! They have some great pitchers!They will be here soon!They have STUD fireballers!Oh, Strasburg?Yes, and better yet, they have Trevor Holder!Trevor Holder?Trevor Holder pitches 97!Trevor Holder doesn’t pitch 97!What do you know clown? You must be a jerk! I hate you all! And the Lerner’s are cheap!

67. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 9:47 PM

"and i'm with mark on name calling. grow up. that said, if you can't take criticism of your opinion, it would behoove you not to post it on a public blog. this becomes a much less interesting place to be if it's going to devolve into "no you're a stupidhead" territory."And greg? You shouldn't criticize someone's opinion by making personally insulting remarks with exclamation points, etc. Its hard to see someone's face to understand their true demeanor. Something to remember. I just happen to be good at clever repartee. (Plus a little, okay you hate that right? cut-and-paste) Apparently, SteveM was smart enough to understand that, yet no one else did? ~laughing~ But I think I made the point above in a hopefully humorous way.

68. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Greg see the "anonymous" poster just bove for an example of "no you're a stupid-head, junior high texting" nonsense.And my posts aren't really anonymous because everyone clearly knows who I am … and as Sue Dinem found out … my email addresses are real.Thank you very much …

69. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Leading me to an request:Mark I suggest that and request that the emails of anonymous posters like the above should be published … perhaps that will bring fewer roaches out of the woodwork?

70. greg - Mar 22, 2010 at 10:03 PM

i will admit i'm not perfect, peric. i'm sure i've stepped over the line before. i try to limit anything that comes across as an attack to attacking the person's *POINT*, not the person themselves. but your rant against stevem was way over the line into territory i've never ventured into. and one that most posters here haven't ventured into. i didn't see any witty repartee there, just a personal attack on someone's character ("neurotic jerk?" "illiterate knuckle-dragging mouth-breathers?" "socially inept misfits and desperate virgins?"). i'm not quite sure what your comment about "exclamation points" is, if it's in reference to me. i'd rather talk about baseball from a rational perspective than read a bunch of trash-talking and character assassinations.

71. peric - Mar 22, 2010 at 10:10 PM

greg, clearly we don't share the same taste in online humor. Speaking of Dye,Has anyone noticed that Gary Sheffield might also be available? He played left and right field last year? Have the considered him?

72. natsfan1a - Mar 22, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Not that I think Mark would take up the idea, but I'd vote "no" on the posting of email addresses of anonymous posters.We now return you to your regular baseball programming. :-)

73. Doc - Mar 23, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Hey Mark,getting back to baseball, the kind of drills D.White was doing the 'non-runner' at the minor's facility—why can't somebody do with ID and his fielding??? I'll bring my bats and come down to Viera and hit a few for the kid!

74. Anonymous - Mar 23, 2010 at 3:05 AM

There is something called freedom of speech. And there is nothing more annoying than holier than thou, blind faith fans, living in their world of fantasy and denial. By mid May, Lerner's "Humpty Dumpty's" will have established their rightful position at the bottom of the NL East.

75. greg - Mar 23, 2010 at 3:42 AM

peric, clearly we don't. i've seen very little amusing in your rants.and anon, you need to do a little studying as to what "freedom of speach" actually means. it's use here is completely out of context.

76. Jeff - Mar 23, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Not having read all 77 comments, am I the only one who is disturbed by the lack of a discernable "Q" in "MARQUIS" due to a truly terrible font styling as pictured in this post?