Mar 22, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis is slated to throw five innings today.
VIERA, Fla. — It's another cloudy, windy day in Florida. What a horrible spring weather-wise. (And yes, I know I promised way back when I wouldn't complain about the weather. I lied.)
Anyways, the Nationals and Mets are preparing to meet once again, with a matchup of projected No. 2 starters: Jason Marquis and Mike Pelfrey. Marquis' place in the Nats' rotation is secure, though it sure would be nice to see him put together a solid outing and lower that 21.94 spring ERA.
The entire Nats' rotation is definitely taking shape. As we've been saying for a while, Marquis, John Lannan and Garrett Mock are in. This morning, Jim Riggleman said four guys remain in the mix for the other two spots: Scott Olsen, Livan Hernandez, Craig Stammen and J.D. Martin.
Let's be honest, though. Hernandez is a pretty safe bet to make it. And Martin isn't under serious consideration — he hasn't appeared in a big-league game since March 10 and isn't scheduled to pitch in one over the next three days. So really, this boils down to Olsen vs. Stammen, and by tomorrow night, we might have a much better grasp on that competition. Stammen is slated to follow Marquis today and throw four innings. Olsen is slated to start tomorrow against the Tigers and pitch five innings. If his velocity is still in the mid-80s, it's hard to believe he's going to get the nod come April. Stammen could also help his cause with a strong performance today.
Be sure to check back for updates throughout the afternoon, and check the homepage for any non-game news…
METS AT NATIONALS
Space Coast Stadium, Viera, Fla.
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
TV/Radio: No TV/WFED-1500 AM
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 66 degrees, Wind 16 mph RF to LF
SS Cristian Guzman
2B Adam Kennedy
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?