Mar 22, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis is slated to throw five innings today.
VIERA, Fla. — It's another cloudy, windy day in Florida. What a horrible spring weather-wise. (And yes, I know I promised way back when I wouldn't complain about the weather. I lied.)
Anyways, the Nationals and Mets are preparing to meet once again, with a matchup of projected No. 2 starters: Jason Marquis and Mike Pelfrey. Marquis' place in the Nats' rotation is secure, though it sure would be nice to see him put together a solid outing and lower that 21.94 spring ERA.
The entire Nats' rotation is definitely taking shape. As we've been saying for a while, Marquis, John Lannan and Garrett Mock are in. This morning, Jim Riggleman said four guys remain in the mix for the other two spots: Scott Olsen, Livan Hernandez, Craig Stammen and J.D. Martin.
Let's be honest, though. Hernandez is a pretty safe bet to make it. And Martin isn't under serious consideration — he hasn't appeared in a big-league game since March 10 and isn't scheduled to pitch in one over the next three days. So really, this boils down to Olsen vs. Stammen, and by tomorrow night, we might have a much better grasp on that competition. Stammen is slated to follow Marquis today and throw four innings. Olsen is slated to start tomorrow against the Tigers and pitch five innings. If his velocity is still in the mid-80s, it's hard to believe he's going to get the nod come April. Stammen could also help his cause with a strong performance today.
Be sure to check back for updates throughout the afternoon, and check the homepage for any non-game news…
METS AT NATIONALS
Space Coast Stadium, Viera, Fla.
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
TV/Radio: No TV/WFED-1500 AM
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 66 degrees, Wind 16 mph RF to LF
SS Cristian Guzman
2B Adam Kennedy
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres