Mar 22, 2010, 9:57 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
With four strong innings today, Craig Stammen made his case for a rotation spot.
VIERA, Fla. — Craig Stammen hasn't been the center of attention in Nationals camp, certainly not the way a certain rookie right-hander was for the last month or even the way fellow hurlers Garrett Mock and Scott Olsen have been for much of the spring.
Stammen? He just keeps his mouth shut, keeps a smile on his face and keeps retiring opposing hitters.
And because of that, the second-year right-hander suddenly looks like a safe bet to make the Opening Day roster.
"He's been good throughout," manager Jim Riggleman said today after watching Stammen throw four innings without allowing an earned run. "He's really making a case for himself to be in the rotation. He's not taking anything for granted. He's competing and pitching very well."
Earlier in the day, Riggleman said there were four guys still competing for two spots in the rotation: Stammen, Livan Hernandez, Scott Olsen and J.D. Martin. Let's be honest, though — Martin hasn't appeared in a big-league game since March 10 and isn't slated to pitch in a big-league game over the next three days. Hernandez, meanwhile, isRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays