Mar 24, 2010, 8:58 PM EST
TAMPA — The Nationals have signed reliever Mike MacDougal to a minor-league contract with an invitation to big-league camp.
MacDougal, who saved 20 games for the Nats last season, was non-tendered by the club in December after undergoing hip surgery. He wound up signing with the Marlins but was released last week after an ineffective spring.
The right-hander is expected to report to Nationals camp in Viera tomorrow.
UPDATE AT 6:52 P.M. — General manager Mike Rizzo wouldn't rule out the possibility of MacDougal making the Opening Day roster but said "something extraordinary would have to happen for him to break camp with the club."
The right-hander has said he's willing to open the season at Class AAA Syracuse, though he does have an out clause in his contract if he's not promoted to Washington by a certain date early in the season. Rizzo said there are no concerns with MacDougal's hip anymore but that theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nate McLouth called LaRoche before joining Nats
- NatsFest 2014 details announced with new venue
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option