Mar 24, 2010, 8:58 PM EDT
TAMPA — The Nationals have signed reliever Mike MacDougal to a minor-league contract with an invitation to big-league camp.
MacDougal, who saved 20 games for the Nats last season, was non-tendered by the club in December after undergoing hip surgery. He wound up signing with the Marlins but was released last week after an ineffective spring.
The right-hander is expected to report to Nationals camp in Viera tomorrow.
UPDATE AT 6:52 P.M. — General manager Mike Rizzo wouldn't rule out the possibility of MacDougal making the Opening Day roster but said "something extraordinary would have to happen for him to break camp with the club."
The right-hander has said he's willing to open the season at Class AAA Syracuse, though he does have an out clause in his contract if he's not promoted to Washington by a certain date early in the season. Rizzo said there are no concerns with MacDougal's hip anymore but that theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos
- Royals hope to even World Series in Game 2
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett likely to return for 2015
- Nationals roster report: Ryan Zimmerman
- Bumgarner, Giants stop Royals 7-1 in Series opener