Mar 24, 2010, 7:39 PM EDT
TAMPA — J.D. Martin will start tomorrow night's game against the Tigers in Viera, the club announced this afternoon.
Not sure what this means for Garrett Mock, whose turn it normally would be. And for some reason, the Nationals' printed media notes here at Steinbrenner Field in advance of tonight's game against the Yankees lists right-hander Carlos Martinez as their starter.
Martin hasn't pitched in a big-league game since March 10 but has appeared in minor-league games since then. Manager Jim Riggleman has maintained all along the right-hander is in contention for a spot either in the Opening Day rotation or bullpen.
UPDATE AT 7:03 P.M. — Riggleman said he and club officials wanted to make sure Martin started a major-league game because he does remain in contention for a rotation spot.
"It's just the way it's worked out," Riggleman said. "We had some people we wanted to see against opposing competition. But we can't do that again with J.D. We've got to see him against the otherRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg won't make scheduled start Friday
- Nats add two more relievers as Sept. call-ups
- Pressure's on Scherzer in Cards series finale
- Stock Watch: Bullpen issues haunt the Nats again
- Breaking down an inexplicable loss for the Nats
- Moss' 3-run homer ends it as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nats make first round of September call-ups
- Nationals turn to Ross for big game in St. Louis
- The Baseball Show: Is Denard Span’s Nats career over?
- Nationals let another one slip away