Mar 25, 2010, 7:54 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Several quick-hit items to report in advance of tonight's game against the Tigers…
– Jim Riggleman said "it's a good bet" that Craig Stammen will make the Opening Day rotation. That's not exactly shocking news; Stammen has pitched better than just about anyone in Nationals camp and hasn't allowed an earned run over his last eight innings. But it does seem to solidify the club's starting five, which as we've been predicting for a while now would be: John Lannan, Jason Marquis, Garrett Mock, Livan Hernandez and Stammen. Now, J.D. Martin does start tonight against the Tigers and could turn some heads with a lights-out performance. And Scott Olsen is scheduled to start Sunday against the Braves, and it's possible he could suddenly get it all together and put himself back in the mix. But it seems pretty unlikely either of those things is happen to happen at this point.
– Speaking of upcoming starts, here's how the rotation is set up for the next few days … Martin tonight vs. Tigers, Lannan tomorrow vs. Cardinals, Marquis Saturday vs. Braves in one split-squad game, Stammen vs. Mets in the other split-squad game, Olsen Sunday vs. Braves, Hernandez Monday vs. Mets.
– Riggleman said no matter who ends up in the mix for the right field job, no one will hold that position down by himself. In other words, look for some kind of combo of Willie Harris, Mike Morse, WillyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0