Mar 26, 2010, 8:41 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Cristian Guzman has looked OK throwing over the last week.
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals may not wait much longer before naming their starting shortstop.
Manager Jim Riggleman said today the club needs to make a decision between veteran Cristian Guzman and rookie Ian Desmond soon so the other can get some playing time at other positions before camp breaks a week from today.
"We need to make a call on it, probably soon," Riggleman said following the Nats' 7-4 victory over the Cardinals. "Just so that whoever we're not going to play there, we can say we're going to have to start moving around. Desmond hasn't played anything but short lately. Guzman hasn't played anything but short. If Guzman's the shortstop, we work Desmond out in other places, or we send him to the minor leagues. And if Desmond's the shortstop, then we work Guzman out in other places."
General manager Mike Rizzo has said more than once this spring that Desmond will play every day at shortstop this season, whether in Washington or at Class AAA Syracuse. Riggleman said last week thereRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings
- Napoli, Red Sox agree on 2-year, $32M deal
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour
- Carlos Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal