Mar 27, 2010, 9:24 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Craig Stammen continued to make his case for a rotation spot today.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — A Nationals club that seemed filled with uncertainty not long ago has actually managed to sort plenty of things out over the last couple of weeks. And with nine days still remaining until the season opener against the Phillies, there may not be many more issues left for Mike Rizzo and Jim Riggleman to sort out.
Sure, the Nats GM and manager need to decide who's going to start at shortstop, how to divvy up playing time in right field and whether to carry a seventh reliever or an extra bench player. But when you think back to how many pressing questions they faced back when the Grapefruit League commenced, they've really managed to answer just about everything of consequence.
And even more things came into focus this afternoon, both here in Port St. Lucie (where one split-squad beat the Mets, 7-5 in 10 innings) and in Lake Buena Vista (where the other club was shut out 4-0 by the Braves).
Let's begin with the back end of the Nationals' rotation. Riggleman said after the Braves game he wants to make his final decisions on Monday, giving Scott Olsen one last shot to make a case tomorrow against Atlanta. But let's be honest: This race is over. Livan Hernandez and Craig Stammen have earned the final two spots behindRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate