Mar 27, 2010, 9:24 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Craig Stammen continued to make his case for a rotation spot today.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — A Nationals club that seemed filled with uncertainty not long ago has actually managed to sort plenty of things out over the last couple of weeks. And with nine days still remaining until the season opener against the Phillies, there may not be many more issues left for Mike Rizzo and Jim Riggleman to sort out.
Sure, the Nats GM and manager need to decide who's going to start at shortstop, how to divvy up playing time in right field and whether to carry a seventh reliever or an extra bench player. But when you think back to how many pressing questions they faced back when the Grapefruit League commenced, they've really managed to answer just about everything of consequence.
And even more things came into focus this afternoon, both here in Port St. Lucie (where one split-squad beat the Mets, 7-5 in 10 innings) and in Lake Buena Vista (where the other club was shut out 4-0 by the Braves).
Let's begin with the back end of the Nationals' rotation. Riggleman said after the Braves game he wants to make his final decisions on Monday, giving Scott Olsen one last shot to make a case tomorrow against Atlanta. But let's be honest: This race is over. Livan Hernandez and Craig Stammen have earned the final two spots behindRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays
- Nationals roster review: Jordan Zimmermann
- Nats' prospect Tony Renda selected for AFL showcase