Mar 28, 2010, 2:03 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Rookie Ian Desmond beat out veteran Cristian Guzman for the regular job at shortstop.
[UPDATED AT 12:15 P.M.]
VIERA, Fla. — Rookie Ian Desmond will open the season as the Nationals' starting shortstop, though veteran Cristian Guzman will remain on the roster and get regular at-bats at both shortstop and second base.
Manager Jim Riggleman said he came to the decision in the last few days and informed Guzman this morning. Guzman, who is making $8 million this season and has never played anything other than shortstop in the major leagues, accepted the decision and immediately began taking grounders at second base during morning workouts.
Riggleman said Desmond, 24, won the job with his stellar spring (he enters today's game batting .278 with seven extra-base hits and a team-high 12 RBI) combined with his strong performance last September (in 21 games, he hit .280 with 13 extra-base hits and 12 RBI). The club's long-term fortunes played a key role in the decision.
"This is one of those moves we can make that will help the club this year, and in the future," Riggleman said. "Pretty much, what we try to do is help the club now. But if you can help it now and in the future,Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Sean Casey: Doug Fister is 'huge for the Nationals'
- Marlins sign Rafael Furcal, what are they up to?
- With Ellsbury & McCann, Yankees could be just getting started
- Report: Nats interested in lefty Scott Downs
- Market is thinning of left-handers
- Does Saltalamacchia show the Marlins are serious for 2014?
- VIDEO: Analysis of Fister trade
- Non-tendered players could interest Nats
- Yankees, Ellsbury near $153M, 7-yr deal
- Fister "excited" about trade to Nationals