Mar 28, 2010, 1:06 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Justin Maxwell hit a paltry .102 this spring, leading to his demotion.
[UPDATED AT 12:21 P.M.]
VIERA, Fla. — Justin Maxwell was optioned to Class AAA Syracuse this morning, ending a disappointing spring that saw the outfielder struggle mightily at the plate despite a golden opportunity to win a starting job.
Maxwell, 26, hit a miniscule .102 (5-for-49) with 20 strikeouts. He saw significant playing time as a contender for the starting job in right field once Elijah Dukes was released earlier in camp but ultimately couldn't seize the opportunity.
The Nationals are expected to use a combination of Willie Harris, Mike Morse and either Willy Taveras or Roger Bernadina in right field once the regular season begins.
"I wanted Maxwell to make the ballclub," manager Jim Riggleman said. "That's the way I came into the spring. I just think he's really a good-makeup guy. He's a great athlete. But you know, he's justRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?