Mar 29, 2010, 7:54 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals claimed veteran catcher Chris Coste off waivers from the Mets this afternoon, a move designed to add some insurance behind the plate at Class AAA Syracuse in case of more injuries at the position.
With Jesus Flores (shoulder) and Jamie Burke (knee) injured and opening the season on the disabled list, the Nats were left with no viable catching options in case something happened to either Ivan Rodriguez or Wil Nieves. Jhonathan Solano, 22, is expected to be Syracuse's other catcher when the season begins.
Despite his advanced age, Coste has spent only four years in the majors. He debuted with the Phillies in 2006 at age 33 and proceeded to hit .282 with 23 homers and 98 RBI in 256 games over parts of theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge