Strasburg debut April 11 at Altoona

Mar 29, 2010, 8:14 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Each of Stephen Strasburg's Class AA starts is sure to draw attention.

VIERA, Fla. — Stephen Strasburg's much-ballyhooed minor-league debut for Class AA Harrisburg will take place April 11 at Altoona, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said this afternoon.

The top pitching prospect will actually have his schedule pushed back three days; he had been on track to start Harrisburg's season opener (April 8 at Altoona). By moving Strasburg to the 11th, the organization ensures the right-hander will make more starts at home for the Senators while also lining him up on the same day as its No. 5 starter in the majors.

If he pitches every fifth day, here's how Strasburg's first month with Harrisburg would shake out…

April 11 at Altoona
April 16 vs New Britain
April 21 vs Reading
April 26 at Reading
May 1 vs Altoona

(If you really want to get into the projecting game, Strasburg's major-league debut could come Saturday, June 5 against the Reds at Nationals Park. But the chance of him actually staying on a perfect,Read more »

1. peric - Mar 29, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Have to wonder if he will even make it to Syracuse first? In Harrisburg he gets sufficient competition and, along with the other prospects, its close enough for the high level Nats types to personally keep tabs on their progress.

2. REW - Mar 29, 2010 at 8:38 PM

3. Ryan - Mar 29, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Just got my tickets! Just left of home plate, five rows up. $10 a ticket. Not bad. PUMPED!

4. Brian - Mar 29, 2010 at 9:35 PM

I guess we can hope for one rain out after 4/11 so his second start gets pushed to Saturday 4/17 … easier to get to Harrisburg on Saturday than Friday night

5. Anonymous - Mar 30, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Not a bad drive to Altoona I used to drive up near there from Arlington, all highway.

6. Grandstander - Mar 30, 2010 at 12:57 AM

I don't drive but my girlfriend has a car. How early would we have to take off on Friday to avoid the worst of rush hour going up 270? Would it better taking 95 up through Baltimore?

7. Mark Zuckerman - Mar 30, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Uh, Grandstander, Strasburg is pitching on April 11. That's a Sunday, not a Friday.

8. Joe - Mar 30, 2010 at 3:10 AM

I live near Syracuse and I really want to see him pitch. Do you think he will come to Syracuse before he goes to DC????

9. Mark Zuckerman - Mar 30, 2010 at 3:12 AM

Joe: I think he probably will pitch at Syracuse, probably sometime in May. But Strasburg's timeline will depend on how he performs. If he dominates Class AA as expected, he'll get a chance to continue it at Class AAA. Then, if he dominates there, he'll be in D.C. before you know it.

10. Mrs. Zuckerman - Mar 30, 2010 at 2:00 PM

For those interested in driving to Altoona next Sunday: it's about three hours (I always went 495-270-70-76-220; North or West going up and South or East coming home) from DC/NoVA and a pretty easy drive, if you don't mind 18-wheelers. I think it's almost exactly 180 miles, and it's a really pretty drive. If it's a 1pm game on Sunday, you can definitely make it up and back and still get to work on Monday. 4pm, probably not.Whoever thought that year at Penn State Altoona would prove so useful?

11. Grandstander - Mar 30, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Well, I was looking more at the 16th. My girlfriend works Sundays, so that's not really doable. I don't need to see the debut, I just want those 12 dollar box seats!

12. Anonymous - Mar 30, 2010 at 3:49 PM

I think there's something to be said that the Nats wanted to make sure Strasburg did not start in either VA or MD during the months of April and May

13. SilverSpring8 - Mar 30, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Rats!! I was planning to see him pitch during Harrisburg's series at Bowie April 12-14.

14. Anonymous - Mar 30, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Pray for rain on 4/11/

15. Anonymous - Mar 31, 2010 at 3:25 PM

"Strasburg and Storen and pray for rain"Hmm…doesn't quite have the same ring to it, but I'll take it!

16. REW - Mar 31, 2010 at 4:05 PM

What I tried to say is I have tickets. four rows back in 110.

17. Anonymous - Apr 9, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I want to go see him in New Britian… but if he stays on this track with no rainouts, he won't pitch in New Britain. My question is, will he still make the trip with the team if hes not pitching??