Mar 30, 2010, 4:35 PM EDT
JUPITER, Fla. — As Chris Coste unpacked his equipment bag inside the clubhouse at Roger Dean Stadium this morning, it was immediately clear to even a casual observer that he looked a bit out of sorts.
His royal blue Mets bag stood out like a sore thumb among all the other navy blue Nationals bags. Same for his catcher's mask. A steady stream of teammates, coaches and trainers made their way up to the 37-year-old to introduce themselves and welcome Coste to the organization.
Uncomfortable or not, Coste is simply glad to have this new opportunity.
"I haven't had a chance to really communicate with the Nationals about what the opportunity is going to be," he said. "But whatever it is, it's already better than what it was yesterday with the Mets. Whatever the situation is, it's going to be positive."
Two days ago, Coste was placed on waivers by the Mets. Yesterday, the Nationals claimed him. Today, he's in a Washington uniform, wearing No. 18 and expecting to catch at least a few innings against the Marlins.
The former Phillie, Astro and Met will only be with the Nationals for a few days. He's likely to open the season at Class AAA Syracuse, but a promotion to Washington is only a phone call away.
"Yeah, I don't really have much of a choice in that," Coste said. "I would [have no problem reporting to Syracuse] simply because if I'm the next guy in line, that's not such a bad position to be in. At 37, toRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager