Mar 30, 2010, 12:00 AM EDT
As part of my fundraising campaign to cover spring training, I offered readers who contributed at least $60 the opportunity to submit a question to a member of the Nationals. Manager Jim Riggleman and four players (Ryan Zimmerman, Nyjer Morgan, John Lannan and Drew Storen) were gracious enough to participate. Readers were randomly paired up with one of those five gentlemen, and I conducted the interviews over the last few days.
Here is the first installment of the Reader Q&A, featuring third baseman Ryan Zimmerman…
Brian Oliver (Alexandria, Va.): You spent only a few months in the minor leagues, and it appears Stephen Strasburg will do the same. What sort of things did you learn at Savannah and Harrisburg [in 2005] that helped you in the majors?
Ryan Zimmerman: Well, you learn how to adapt to playing every single day. You come from college and you play four or five games a week at the most. And you come here and you're playing a game every single day. So you've got to kind of get a routine down, know what you need to do every day to get ready to play a game and what you need to do to keep your body in the best shape and stay healthy. I think you go down, learn your routine and get that going, and that helps you a lot when you get up here.
Katie Edwards, age 11 (Herndon, Va.): Can you explain the differences in the structure of spring training under Jim Riggleman vs. Manny Acta?
Ryan Zimmerman: A lot of is actually the same, I think. I guess maybe a little bit more attention to detail and the little things. Riggs is really big on that. But other than that, spring training is probably pretty much the same for everyone. You do the little things and allRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall
- Updated: Escobar leaves Nats-Padres game with injury
- Span sits to rest sore back; other Nats injury notes
- Nats aim for 3rd straight series win against Padres
- Around the NL East: Will the Mets ever lose again?
- Double play on 3-0 pitch kills Nationals' rally
- Gonzalez turns in uneven outing, drops third straight
- Furious rally falls short as Nationals lose to Padres 6-5