Mar 30, 2010, 9:43 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Garrett Mock didn't help his cause for a spot in the rotation today.
"We feel pretty confident right now that we are going to put Lannan, Marquis and Mock out there, and the other names are competing for the other two spots." — Jim Riggleman, March 22, 2010.
JUPITER, Fla. — Boy, how quickly things have changed at Nationals camp.
Only eight days ago, Garrett Mock looked like a sure thing, a lock to open the season in Washington's rotation. Today, following his worst outing of the spring, the right-hander's status is very much up in the air.
After watching Mock give up six runs (four earned) on seven hits and five walks in only 4 2/3 innings against the Marlins — and needing a whopping 96 pitches to do it — Riggleman's evaluation was decidedly less-glowing.
"The outing speaks for itself," the manager said. "I can't say much about it. You saw it. He was good for two or three hitters in a sequence, and then he would throw to a couple of hitters and leave some balls up in the zone to be hit."
Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Mock as the Nats' No. 5 starter to open the season, huh?
The manner in which Riggleman, Mike Rizzo and other club officials raved about Mock all winter and through the first month of spring training seemed puzzling at times. What exactly prompted suchRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip