Mar 31, 2010, 8:38 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
John Lannan was highly efficient today, his final start before Opening Day.
JUPITER, Fla. Plenty of noteworthy things to discuss about today's game (a 9-6 win by the Nationals over the Cardinals) so let's get right to it, highlighting several players of consequence…
In his final tune-up before Opening Day, Lannan did about as well as you could possibly ask of him: five innings, two unearned runs, three hits. Actually, he might have done too well. Because he only needed 59 pitches to make it through those five innings, the left-hander was forced to throw another 15 in the bullpen after leaving the game.
"I didn't want to go out there and throw 100," he said. "I didn't think there was any need for it, as long as I got my work in and all my pitches felt good. I think I'll be ready."
Lannan produced probably the best spring of any member of the Nats' rotation. In five starts, he went 2-0 with a 2.91 ERA. Over 21 2/3 innings, he allowed 19 hits and six walks while striking out 11. Good, solid spring all around, and that leaves him confident heading into Monday's opener against the Phillies.
"I'm ready to get out of spring training," he said. "I'm ready to go. I'm ready to get there and start getting into a situation where you've got the crowd and a little more pressure. This is great to get ready, but IRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera