Mar 31, 2010, 8:38 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
John Lannan was highly efficient today, his final start before Opening Day.
JUPITER, Fla. Plenty of noteworthy things to discuss about today's game (a 9-6 win by the Nationals over the Cardinals) so let's get right to it, highlighting several players of consequence…
In his final tune-up before Opening Day, Lannan did about as well as you could possibly ask of him: five innings, two unearned runs, three hits. Actually, he might have done too well. Because he only needed 59 pitches to make it through those five innings, the left-hander was forced to throw another 15 in the bullpen after leaving the game.
"I didn't want to go out there and throw 100," he said. "I didn't think there was any need for it, as long as I got my work in and all my pitches felt good. I think I'll be ready."
Lannan produced probably the best spring of any member of the Nats' rotation. In five starts, he went 2-0 with a 2.91 ERA. Over 21 2/3 innings, he allowed 19 hits and six walks while striking out 11. Good, solid spring all around, and that leaves him confident heading into Monday's opener against the Phillies.
"I'm ready to get out of spring training," he said. "I'm ready to go. I'm ready to get there and start getting into a situation where you've got the crowd and a little more pressure. This is great to get ready, but IRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez' pitching leads Nats over Mets
- Anthony Rendon has another setback in rehab from MCL sprain
- Gio starts as Nationals face Mets in New York
- Nats have had enough of the 8th inning
- Nats fall to Mets as Harvey bests Scherzer
- MLB amends rule involving Nats' top prospect
- Scherzer faces Harvey in marquee matchup
- Good news for Nats regarding Anthony Rendon's rehab
- MLB Power Rankings: Cubs, Yankees rising fast
- Impressive win for Nats in opener vs. Mets