Mar 31, 2010, 1:50 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
J.D. Martin didn't make the most of his limited opportunity to win a rotation spot.
[UPDATED AT 12:46 P.M.]
JUPITER, Fla. J.D. Martin was optioned to Class AAA Syracuse this morning, leaving only Garrett Mock and Scott Olsen remaining in the battle for the final spot in the Nationals' rotation.
Though team officials always made a point to include Martin in the mix for a starting job, the right-hander was given only limited opportunities to state his case. He appeared in only three Grapefruit League games (two starts) and allowed seven runs on 10 hits in six total innings.
Martin did pitch several times in minor-league games, including a start yesterday in an intrasquad game in Viera in which he struggled.
"He's just one of them guys you root for," manager Jim Riggleman said. "He's a consummate professional. Doesn't light the radar gun up. But he knows how to pitch and all that. We still think we'll be calling on him at some point."
The Nationals must now decide whether to include Mock or Olsen in the season-opening rotation. Mock, who appeared to lock up a spot earlier this spring, has struggled through his last few outings andRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'
- Marlins pitcher part of sports betting investigation
- Scherzer on mound as Nats face Cards
- Rendon unlikely for Opening Day after 2nd MRI