Mar 31, 2010, 12:00 AM EST
As part of my fundraising campaign to cover spring training, I offered readers who contributed at least $60 the opportunity to submit a question to a member of the Nationals. Manager Jim Riggleman and four players (Ryan Zimmerman, Nyjer Morgan, John Lannan and Drew Storen) were gracious enough to participate. Readers were randomly paired up with one of those five gentlemen, and I conducted the interviews over the last few days.
Here is the second installment of the Reader Q&A, featuring left-hander John Lannan…
Andrew Lang (Potomac, Md.): In all the items presented to you from fans to get autographed, is there one that stands out the most as either your favorite or strangest item?
John Lannan: A bowling ball. That was pretty cool. We also signed the gas tank of a chopper, like a motorcycle. So that was pretty cool. It was an auction. They brought the gas tank out and we signed it and they auctioned it off. But the bowling ball was pretty weird, too. I signed a golf ball before, too. Just little things that are kind of weird.
Carolyn Deck (Fairfax, Va.): You have such grit on the mound, and you never seem to get rattled. How do you prepare mentally and keep your composure under sometimes difficult circumstances?
John Lannan: I just go pitch-to-pitch. Whatever happens, happens. And I don't let it affect the next pitch. I just go out and throw my best pitch in that situation. And if they get a hit, you tip your cap and move on.
Patrick Reddington (Springfield, N.J.): There's a bit of a debate in the stats community about how you are able to succeed without getting many strikeouts. Last year, you had the fewest strikeouts-per-nine innings of all pitchers with an ERA under 4.00. How do youRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera