Apr 2, 2010, 10:00 PM EST
As part of my fundraising campaign to cover spring training, I offered readers who contributed at least $60 the opportunity to submit a question to a member of the Nationals. Manager Jim Riggleman and four players (Ryan Zimmerman, Nyjer Morgan, John Lannan and Drew Storen) were gracious enough to participate. Readers were randomly paired up with one of those five gentlemen, and I conducted the interviews over the last week.
Here is the final installment of the Reader Q&A, featuring manager Jim Riggleman. …
Jason Aquino (Falls Church, Va.): What do you see as your role in fostering a winner's culture in the clubhouse? Are there any changes — big or small — that you've implemented since taking over last year in support of that effort?
Jim Riggleman: I think implementing a winning culture, a winning atmosphere, has to do with so many things. But I would say you try to create an atmosphere for each player to succeed. In other words, not put players in a position to fail, try to get the best matchups for players, try to get the best conditions to play under for them, remain positive with players through tough times. I think that's the best way to create a winning culture: To stay positive and create a good atmosphere for them to succeed in. If you put them in tough situations, they're probably going to fail and a lot of negativity ensues.
Mike Henderson (Silver Spring, Md.): What exactly will Tim Foli's role be on the coaching staff? Who's idea was it to install him in that role? And by what measures will his success be measured?
Jim Riggleman: That was my idea, and there were a lot of reasons involved. Tim, his background is so diverse. He's done everything there is in the game. He's coached in the big leagues. He's managed in the minor leagues. He played in the big leagues a long time. He's been a minor-league field coordinator. He's an extremely bright,Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club