Apr 3, 2010, 5:53 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Garrett Mock beat out Scott Olsen for the final spot in the Nats' rotation.
[UPDATED AT 10:46 P.M.]
The Nationals have decided to go with Garrett Mock over Scott Olsen as the final member of their Opening Day rotation, but Mock will actually pitch the season's fourth game.
Though Olsen performed better over the last two weeks of spring training, including a strong start yesterday against the Red Sox in Fort Myers, Fla., manager Jim Riggleman said the club elected to take Mock based on more factors.
"The overall body of work," Riggleman said. "We couldn't put it all on one outing."
Olsen, who is guaranteed a $1 million salary this year, was optioned to Class AAA Syracuse and open the season there. Though he's made significant strides lately in his recovery from left shoulder surgery, the club believes he's not all the
"The consensus amongst all of us … was that Olsen is really getting close to being where he was prior to the trade acquisition last year. He's just not quite there yet in terms of [being] fully 100 percent," Riggleman said. "He's really close. And yesterday's performance isRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span returns to Nats lineup after missing several games
- Fister, Nats aim for series win against Mets in New York
- Gonzalez' pitching leads Nats over Mets
- Anthony Rendon has another setback in rehab from MCL sprain
- Gio starts as Nationals face Mets in New York
- Nats have had enough of the 8th inning
- Nats fall to Mets as Harvey bests Scherzer
- MLB amends rule involving Nats' top prospect
- Scherzer faces Harvey in marquee matchup
- Good news for Nats regarding Anthony Rendon's rehab