Apr 5, 2010, 11:18 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Everything went well in the pregame ceremony. Then the Nats took the field.
Even Jim Riggleman's best postgame line was a bit unfortunate.
Asked if his pregame encounter with Barack Obama was a small silver lining on an otherwise regrettable Opening Day at Nationals Park, Riggleman paused and then responded: "That's like asking Mrs. Lincoln how she liked the play."
Good line, Riggs. But a word of advice: You probably shouldn't make jokes about presidential assassinations just hours after shaking the hand of the current president.
Then again, today's events probably called for a morose quip. Could the Nationals have drawn up a worse scenario on Opening Day? Lose to the Phillies, 11-1. Watch as your reliable staff ace gets knocked out in the fourth inning. Watch as your supposedly improved lineup wastes some early opportunities against Roy Halladay and then goes silent the rest of the afternoon. Watch as your bullpen does its best 2009 impersonation, issuing six of the staff's nine walks for the day and allowing six tack-on runs to turn this joyous occasion into a rout.
Oh yeah, and do all of this in front of a sellout crowd of 41,290 that featured at least 15,000 Phillies fans, perhaps 20,000, all who stayed to cheer their team in the ninth inning and turn South Capitol StreetRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'