Apr 5, 2010, 7:45 PM EDT
Commissioner Bud Selig, in attendance at Nationals Park for today's season opener, insisted Washington will become a "great" baseball town once the Nats begin winning on the field.
"I have no doubts, and I mean this very sincerely," Selig said outside the press box during the sixth inning of what was already turning into a Phillies rout of the home team. "With a good, competitive club, this will be a great major-league market. It won't be a good one. It will be a great one. I have no doubt about that."
Selig, who oversaw the relocation of the Montreal Expos to the District prior to the 2005 season, has regularly praised the Lerner family and team president Stan Kasten for their approach to build the franchise from the bottom up, despite the fact the club has posted the majors' worst record each of the last two seasons.
The commissioner had no issue with the large number of Philadelphia fans who converged on Nationals Park for today's opener, likening the split allegiances among fans to traditional geographic rivals like the Cardinals and Cubs. It appeared about one-third of the 41,290 inRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants