Apr 6, 2010, 2:42 PM EST
Photo courtesy of Eric London
A large group of Phillies fans waits to enter Nationals Park on Monday.
[UPDATED AT 11:12 A.M.]
I know there is much disgust around NatsTown this morning over just about every aspect of yesterday's opener, from the actual result on the field (an embarrassing, 11-1 loss to the Phillies) to the President pulling a White Sox cap out of his pocket to the invasion of fans from up I-95 who turned Nationals Park into Citizens Bank Park.
It seems that final point has been most upsetting to local fans who were aghast to walk into their home ballpark and feel like they were outnumbered by the opposition. On Opening Day, nonetheless.
So what happened? How did so many Phillies fans manage to squeeze their way in while many Nationals fans were shut out. Individual-game tickets went on sale March 2, and according to the club, it only took seven minutes for most to sell out. Did that many people from Philadelphia get on the phone in those seven minutes and gobble up all the available seats?
The best explanation appears to be that many of those visiting fans bought tickets through group sales, well in advance of March 2.
Different types of tickets are sold at different points in the calendar year. Season ticket packages go on sale before the previous season ends. Group packages also become available during the offseason.
"Both season tickets are sold, and groups are booked, all through the winter, for every game," Nationals president Stan Kasten said viaRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett
- Nats sign pair of veterans to minor-league deals
- Rizzo happy to bring reliever Sean Burnett back to Nats
- Bryce Harper does not know how to pronounce 'meme'
- Harper credits Desmond and Werth after winning MVP