Apr 8, 2010, 4:10 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ian Desmond has been alternately fantastic and disappointing in just two games.
The Nationals made Ian Desmond their Opening Day shortstop at age 24 knowing full well he's capable of doing some incredibly exciting things on the field at any given moment. They also know he's capable of doing some incredibly frustrating things on the field the very next moment.
Such is the dichotomy of making a dynamic-yet-inconsistent rookie your starting shortstop. Desmond has the ability to both wow and annoy you in a span of minutes, and both sides of him were on full display tonight in Washington's 8-4 loss to the Phillies that also featured a ragged debut from right-hander Jason Marquis.
The good: Desmond homered, doubled and made a couple of nice plays at shortstop.
The bad: He struck out three times (giving him five in eight plate appearances already this season) and committed his second error in two games.
The Nationals are OK with this. They knew what they were getting in Desmond. And the young shortstop knows his rookie season is likely to be filled with plenty of highs and lows along the way.
"This is my first season starting up in the big leagues," he said. "Things are still a little bit fast. And I think that's expected. Besides [Braves phenom Jason] Heyward, I don't think anybody comes in hereRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions