Apr 9, 2010, 1:02 AM EST
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Matt Capps had a rough spring but looked strong tonight in his first save situation.
Matt Capps knows only one way to pitch: With everything he's got, every time he lets go of the ball.
There are closers who dance around the plate, try to fool hitters into swinging at something out of the zone. Francisco Rodriguez with his slider. Trevor Hoffman with his change-up.
That's not Capps. When he needs to finish off a game, he doesn't mess around. He unloads his 95 mph fastball, puts it in the general vicinity of the strike zone and trusts that it will be good enough to get the job done.
"Oh, yeah. Come right at you," said Nyjer Morgan, Capps' former teammate with the Pirates. "He's a bulldog."
And as a crowd of 20,217 saw this evening, Capps isn't afraid to go after the very best the National League has to offer. He may have flirted with disaster against the heart of the Phillies lineup. But when it counted most, he got the job done and secured the Nationals' firstRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement
- Storen appreciates Nats' vote of confidence