Apr 9, 2010, 7:41 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Citi Field, the Mets' overly quirky new home.
NEW YORK — Good afternoon from Citi Field, now in its second year of operation. The new home of the New York Mets is a MAJOR upgrade from Shea Stadium (then again, RFK Stadium would have been an upgrade from Shea Stadium) but I've never been all that impressed with this place.
For one thing, it's incredibly confusing to navigate. One of the best things Nationals Park has going for it is that fans can walk all the way around the main concourse and never lose sight of the field. Not so here, where there are random turns and angles blocking your path every which way you go. (And don't get me started on how difficult it is to find the press box. I leave a trail of breadcrumbs every time I walk out the door.)
The playing field, too, has all kinds of quirks, and not necessarily in a good way. There's a big overhang above the right-field fence that led to a disputed homer last season when the Nats were in town. Members of the visiting pitching staff can't see the field from their bullpen because of the poor angle it faces (they have to watch on TV screens). It's almost like the Mets just wanted to create quirkiness forRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss