Apr 10, 2010, 4:10 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The sun is out today, but it's still cold and windy.
NEW YORK — It's another chilly, windy day in Queens, but at least the sun's out for this afternoon's matinee between the Nationals and Mets.
The Nats can only hope the abundant sunshine brings out the best in John Lannan, who today attempts to become the first member of the rotation to reach the sixth inning. It's been a woeful stretch for Washington starters so far, with Craig Stammen's five-inning performance Thursday the gold standard to date, as it were.
As manager Jim Riggleman said last night: "That can't continue. That's not going to work."
Lannan will be facing a Mets lineup bolstered by the return of leadoff man and shortstop Jose Reyes, who has been activated off the DL after missing several weeks with a mysterious thyroid issue. Reyes hasn't been himself for more than a year, but if he returns to the form he displayed in 2006-08, he's one of the most dynamic players in baseball.
Willy Taveras gets the nod in right field, in part because Mike Morse is not ready to return to the field from his calf injury, and in partRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent