Apr 10, 2010, 4:03 AM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Garrett Mock's 3 1/3-inning start set the tone for tonight's loss.
NEW YORK — Two factors, more than anything, contributed to the Nationals' 8-2 loss to the Mets tonight.
– Garrett Mock was yanked after 3 1/3 innings, having thrown 84 pitches.
– Jason Bergmann, Jesse English and Tyler Walker combined to allow three runs in a span of four batters in the seventh.
Now the real question: Which development was less surprising?
Unfortunately, we've come to expect such exploits from these pitchers. Mock seems to take the mound hoping just to get through five innings, while the Nationals' middle relievers seem to take the mound hoping just to retire the first batter they face.
When you put all that together, the result isn't pretty. The result is a lopsided loss to a Mets club that is missing several key starters and tonight looked ripe for a beating.
Instead, the Nats are 1-3 heading into the season's first weekend, trying to overcome both their fast-exiting starting rotation and their suspect middle relief.
"It's tough," catcher Ivan Rodriguez said. "But at the same time, we've got to keep playing. There's still a lot of games left, the whole season left. It's only four games. We've just got to make the adjustments, get our starting pitchers to give us some innings andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins