Apr 10, 2010, 4:03 AM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Garrett Mock's 3 1/3-inning start set the tone for tonight's loss.
NEW YORK — Two factors, more than anything, contributed to the Nationals' 8-2 loss to the Mets tonight.
— Garrett Mock was yanked after 3 1/3 innings, having thrown 84 pitches.
— Jason Bergmann, Jesse English and Tyler Walker combined to allow three runs in a span of four batters in the seventh.
Now the real question: Which development was less surprising?
Unfortunately, we've come to expect such exploits from these pitchers. Mock seems to take the mound hoping just to get through five innings, while the Nationals' middle relievers seem to take the mound hoping just to retire the first batter they face.
When you put all that together, the result isn't pretty. The result is a lopsided loss to a Mets club that is missing several key starters and tonight looked ripe for a beating.
Instead, the Nats are 1-3 heading into the season's first weekend, trying to overcome both their fast-exiting starting rotation and their suspect middle relief.
"It's tough," catcher Ivan Rodriguez said. "But at the same time, we've got to keep playing. There's still a lot of games left, the whole season left. It's only four games. We've just got to make the adjustments, get our starting pitchers to give us some innings andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall
- Roark struggles as Nats lose second game of doubleheader
- Nats aim for sweep as Roark starts second game in Philly
- Strasburg steps up as Nats take 1st game of doubleheader in Philly
- Nats and Phillies wrap up series with doubleheader
- Nats miffed at Phillies over postponed game