Apr 10, 2010, 11:29 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Willie Harris got plenty of high-fives after his game-ending catch sealed the Nats' 4-3 win.
NEW YORK — The ball shot off Rod Barajas' bat and as it made a beeline toward shallow left field, the crowd of 33,044 at Citi Field let out a roar, confident the Mets had just rallied to tie (or perhaps beat) the Nationals.
And then Willie Harris came charging in and dove to his front and his right, sticking out his glove in a last-ditch effort to make a backhanded catch that would either save a 4-3 victory for the Nats or ruin it altogether.
In that instant — as Harris hung in the air with glove outstretched, as Barajas ran toward first base with an eye on the play, as Matt Capps spun around on the mound waiting to see whether he'd just earned the save or the loss, as Jim Riggleman leaned over the dugout rail to get a better look, as an injured Ryan Zimmerman watched on a clubhouse TV — a thousand thoughts came to everyone's mind. Amazing how much information the brain can ponder in a split-second.
Harris had just moved to left field at the start of the ninth inning, having played the previous three innings at third base when Zimmerman departed with a tight hamstring. The Nats' super-utilityman has an uncanny ability to bounce around from position to position and make it look easy, but he feels most comfortable in leftRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal
- Point/Counterpoint: How good will Fister be?
- Sean Casey: Doug Fister is 'huge for the Nationals'
- Marlins sign Rafael Furcal, what are they up to?
- With Ellsbury & McCann, Yankees could be just getting started
- Report: Nats interested in lefty Scott Downs
- Market is thinning of left-handers
- Does Saltalamacchia show the Marlins are serious for 2014?