Apr 11, 2010, 2:01 PM EST
NEW YORK — Struggling right-hander Garrett Mock was optioned to Class AAA Syracuse this morning, clearing space on the Nationals’ 25-man roster for Livan Hernandez, who starts today’s series finale against the Mets.
Mock, who at one point last month was classified as the club’s No. 3 starter behind John Lannan and Jason Marquis, barely squeezed his way onto the Opening Day roster as the final member of the rotation despite a less-than-spectacular spring. He didn’t help his cause Friday night in his season debut, lasting only 3 2/3 innings while throwing a whopping 84 pitches.
The somewhat-surprising move was made possible because the Nationals don’t need five starting pitchers until next Sunday. They’ll proceed into the next week with only four starters (Lannan, Marquis, Hernandez and Craig Stammen) and eight relievers.
Because a player optioned to Class AAA must spend at least 10 days in the minors before getting recalled (barring an injury), Mock won’t be eligible to return in time for next Sunday’s start. The club will need to call up another starter, with Scott Olsen the most likely candidate.
More to come later…
Here’s a full recap of all today’s roster moves on CSNwashington.com.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scherzer debuts as Nats open exhibition play
- Mets' Wheeler: 'I guarantee you we all saw what Bryce Harper said'
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout