Apr 11, 2010, 2:01 PM EDT
NEW YORK — Struggling right-hander Garrett Mock was optioned to Class AAA Syracuse this morning, clearing space on the Nationals’ 25-man roster for Livan Hernandez, who starts today’s series finale against the Mets.
Mock, who at one point last month was classified as the club’s No. 3 starter behind John Lannan and Jason Marquis, barely squeezed his way onto the Opening Day roster as the final member of the rotation despite a less-than-spectacular spring. He didn’t help his cause Friday night in his season debut, lasting only 3 2/3 innings while throwing a whopping 84 pitches.
The somewhat-surprising move was made possible because the Nationals don’t need five starting pitchers until next Sunday. They’ll proceed into the next week with only four starters (Lannan, Marquis, Hernandez and Craig Stammen) and eight relievers.
Because a player optioned to Class AAA must spend at least 10 days in the minors before getting recalled (barring an injury), Mock won’t be eligible to return in time for next Sunday’s start. The club will need to call up another starter, with Scott Olsen the most likely candidate.
More to come later…
Here’s a full recap of all today’s roster moves on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery