Apr 12, 2010, 11:58 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis didn't respond well to adversity in the fourth inning today.
PHILADELPHIA — Inside his office following today's 7-4 loss to the Phillies — an eminently winnable game that went awry over two disastrous innings — Jim Riggleman talked about his team needing to get more respect.
The insinuation from Riggleman, who was ejected in the fourth inning for arguing balls and strikes, was that umpires should give the same calls to teams coming off back-to-back 100-loss seasons as they give to teams coming off back-to-back National League pennants.
"I just felt like I needed to make a statement that we've got to get a little respect, too," Riggleman said of his arguing a close 1-2 pitch from Jason Marquis to Ryan Howard. "That's the Phillies over there, who have earned a great amount of respect. But we've got to get some respect, too, so I felt like I had to say something."
He's right. The Phillies and Nationals should be treated the exact same way, regardless of record. But you know the best way to ensure that kind of thing doesn't happen anymore? Win.
Win games in blowout fashion. Win games in close fashion. Win games that require you to come from behind. And win games that you seize control of early, not letting them slip through your hands.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: Cardinals coming to town
- The Baseball Show: Things are turning up for the Nats
- Marlins in panic mode after poor start to 2015
- Strasburg's changeup key in Nats' win against Phillies
- Denard Span's return felt 'like old times' for Nats
- Strasburg dazzles in Span’s return
- Taylor sent down to Syracuse, hopes to develop consistency
- Nats activate Span off disabled list for Sunday's game
- Strasburg starts as Nats host Phillies in series finale
- Zimmermann still trying to find groove