Apr 12, 2010, 11:58 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis didn't respond well to adversity in the fourth inning today.
PHILADELPHIA — Inside his office following today's 7-4 loss to the Phillies — an eminently winnable game that went awry over two disastrous innings — Jim Riggleman talked about his team needing to get more respect.
The insinuation from Riggleman, who was ejected in the fourth inning for arguing balls and strikes, was that umpires should give the same calls to teams coming off back-to-back 100-loss seasons as they give to teams coming off back-to-back National League pennants.
"I just felt like I needed to make a statement that we've got to get a little respect, too," Riggleman said of his arguing a close 1-2 pitch from Jason Marquis to Ryan Howard. "That's the Phillies over there, who have earned a great amount of respect. But we've got to get some respect, too, so I felt like I had to say something."
He's right. The Phillies and Nationals should be treated the exact same way, regardless of record. But you know the best way to ensure that kind of thing doesn't happen anymore? Win.
Win games in blowout fashion. Win games in close fashion. Win games that require you to come from behind. And win games that you seize control of early, not letting them slip through your hands.Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect