Apr 13, 2010, 2:35 PM EDT
There is perhaps no more consistent offensive player in baseball than Adam Dunn, who pretty much knows on Opening Day what his numbers will look like come October 1: 40 homers, 100 RBI, more than 100 walks.
"I would be panicking a little bit if I wasn't seeing the ball as well as I am," he said. "I'm not worried about that part. That part will be there."
Still, Dunn's first week of the season was a strange one. He's batting a paltry .111 (2-for-18). Both hits are singles, so his slugging percentage is a pathetic .111. Yet he leads the league with 10 walks, producing a stout .448 on-base percentage.
When's the last time you heard of a player whose OBP was 337 points higher than his slugging percentage?
"I don't think there's an excuse why," Dunn said. "I think I'm just not putting the balls in play or getting hits on pitches I normally do. The good thing is, I'm feeling good, so I know it's going to change."
Dunn does have a reputation sometimes for being too selective at the plate, for taking borderline pitches that lead either to walks or strikeouts instead of taking a hack at them and trying to drive in runs. That has often kept his RBI total a bit lower than you'd expectRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win