Apr 13, 2010, 2:35 PM EDT
There is perhaps no more consistent offensive player in baseball than Adam Dunn, who pretty much knows on Opening Day what his numbers will look like come October 1: 40 homers, 100 RBI, more than 100 walks.
"I would be panicking a little bit if I wasn't seeing the ball as well as I am," he said. "I'm not worried about that part. That part will be there."
Still, Dunn's first week of the season was a strange one. He's batting a paltry .111 (2-for-18). Both hits are singles, so his slugging percentage is a pathetic .111. Yet he leads the league with 10 walks, producing a stout .448 on-base percentage.
When's the last time you heard of a player whose OBP was 337 points higher than his slugging percentage?
"I don't think there's an excuse why," Dunn said. "I think I'm just not putting the balls in play or getting hits on pitches I normally do. The good thing is, I'm feeling good, so I know it's going to change."
Dunn does have a reputation sometimes for being too selective at the plate, for taking borderline pitches that lead either to walks or strikeouts instead of taking a hack at them and trying to drive in runs. That has often kept his RBI total a bit lower than you'd expectRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele