Apr 15, 2010, 4:25 PM EDT
[UPDATED AT 2:23 P.M.]
PHILADELPHIA — Right-hander Jason Bergmann has been designated for assignment, clearing space on the Nationals' roster for lefty Scott Olsen.
Bergmann, who was out of options, has 10 days to either be traded, claimed by another club or pass through waivers and be outrighted to Class AAA Syracuse. General manager Mike Rizzo said the organization won't release the 28-year-old if he clears waivers.
Bergmann sensed the move was coming since struggling during last night's 14-7 loss to the Phillies, in which he served up a two-run homer to Shane Victorino. He appeared in only four games, totaling 2 1/3 innings, since the season began but was scored upon three times.
The right-hander had been optioned eight different times over the last four years, but that didn't make today's news any easier to swallow. Originally an 11th round draft pick of the Expos in 2002, he is one of the longest-tenured players in the organization.
"I'm not going to make any excuses; I didn't pitch real well," he said. "But I got fired from my job today. That's the hardest thing to deal with. It's probably the worst day of my life right now. I've got to find a way to move on and see what the next few days may bring."
Bergmann said he plans to return to Washington, gather his belongings and probably return to his home in Viera, Fla., while waiting to learn his fate. Though he said he would love to remain withRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mets beat Nats 2-1 in epic game capped by Flores walk-off
- Nats' reliever to get second opinion on ailing shoulder
- Catching up with now-Mets pitcher Tyler Clippard
- Mets get Cespedes for big series vs. Nats
- Nats, Mets begin weekend series with first place on the line
- MLB Power Rankings: Hamels, Price, Tulo all get traded
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen