Apr 15, 2010, 4:25 PM EST
[UPDATED AT 2:23 P.M.]
PHILADELPHIA — Right-hander Jason Bergmann has been designated for assignment, clearing space on the Nationals' roster for lefty Scott Olsen.
Bergmann, who was out of options, has 10 days to either be traded, claimed by another club or pass through waivers and be outrighted to Class AAA Syracuse. General manager Mike Rizzo said the organization won't release the 28-year-old if he clears waivers.
Bergmann sensed the move was coming since struggling during last night's 14-7 loss to the Phillies, in which he served up a two-run homer to Shane Victorino. He appeared in only four games, totaling 2 1/3 innings, since the season began but was scored upon three times.
The right-hander had been optioned eight different times over the last four years, but that didn't make today's news any easier to swallow. Originally an 11th round draft pick of the Expos in 2002, he is one of the longest-tenured players in the organization.
"I'm not going to make any excuses; I didn't pitch real well," he said. "But I got fired from my job today. That's the hardest thing to deal with. It's probably the worst day of my life right now. I've got to find a way to move on and see what the next few days may bring."
Bergmann said he plans to return to Washington, gather his belongings and probably return to his home in Viera, Fla., while waiting to learn his fate. Though he said he would love to remain withRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings
- Napoli, Red Sox agree on 2-year, $32M deal
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour
- Carlos Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal