Apr 15, 2010, 4:05 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Tonight's ugliness, spelled out in numbers.
PHILADELPHIA — Inside a mostly silent clubhouse underneath Citizens Bank Park tonight, one Nationals pitcher had a look of pure dumbfoundedness on his face as he tried to dissect his staff's overall performance against the Phillies so far this season.
"It's not like it's just two or three guys who are struggling," the hurler said. "It's every single one of us. None of us can get them out."
There's an understatement. In five games against the Phillies over the last week and a half, Nationals pitchers have allowed 45 runs, 58 hits (23 of them extra-base hits) and 29 walks. Philadelphia's hitters are batting a collective .326 against Washington, with a .420 on-base percentage and a .965 OPS.
Basically, every Phillies batter who steps to the plate against the Nats this season is Ryan Howard (owner of a career .965 OPS).
Tonight's 14-7 thumping was only the latest in a growing list of lopsided performances. The Phillies have scored at least seven runs in four of five games against the Nats, and the only time they failed toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return