Apr 15, 2010, 4:05 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Tonight's ugliness, spelled out in numbers.
PHILADELPHIA — Inside a mostly silent clubhouse underneath Citizens Bank Park tonight, one Nationals pitcher had a look of pure dumbfoundedness on his face as he tried to dissect his staff's overall performance against the Phillies so far this season.
"It's not like it's just two or three guys who are struggling," the hurler said. "It's every single one of us. None of us can get them out."
There's an understatement. In five games against the Phillies over the last week and a half, Nationals pitchers have allowed 45 runs, 58 hits (23 of them extra-base hits) and 29 walks. Philadelphia's hitters are batting a collective .326 against Washington, with a .420 on-base percentage and a .965 OPS.
Basically, every Phillies batter who steps to the plate against the Nats this season is Ryan Howard (owner of a career .965 OPS).
Tonight's 14-7 thumping was only the latest in a growing list of lopsided performances. The Phillies have scored at least seven runs in four of five games against the Nats, and the only time they failed toRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats