Apr 15, 2010, 6:09 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Garrett Mock has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a neck injury that cropped up after the right-hander was optioned to Class AAA Syracuse over the weekend, thus negating his demotion.
Mock, who had remained with the Nationals in order to throw a regular bullpen session Monday in Philadelphia, felt a "twinge" in his right shoulder, general manager Mike Rizzo said, and had to cut the session short. Doctors in Washington then discovered a problem with a cervical disc in his neck, putting pressure on a nerve that went into his shoulder.
"It's a disc thing that put pressure on a nerve," Rizzo said. "He thought it was his shoulder, but it was actually a circulatory thing from his neck."
Mock had never mentioned any previous shoulder or neck issues prior to his demotion.
"He never complained about it before," Rizzo said, "but it came to aRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmermann perfect against Sabathia, Yankees
- Fister could be ready for season's first week
- Zimmermann leads Nats against Yankees' Sabathia
- Injuries highlight the importance of rotation depth
- Gio Gonzalez starts strong, but Astros top Nationals
- Bryce Harper repping new eye black company
- Gonzalez faces Astros under the lights in Viera
- Should Desmond be the Nationals' No. 2 hitter?
- Strasburg settles down, Nats rout Cardinals 11-1
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals