Apr 15, 2010, 6:09 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Garrett Mock has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a neck injury that cropped up after the right-hander was optioned to Class AAA Syracuse over the weekend, thus negating his demotion.
Mock, who had remained with the Nationals in order to throw a regular bullpen session Monday in Philadelphia, felt a "twinge" in his right shoulder, general manager Mike Rizzo said, and had to cut the session short. Doctors in Washington then discovered a problem with a cervical disc in his neck, putting pressure on a nerve that went into his shoulder.
"It's a disc thing that put pressure on a nerve," Rizzo said. "He thought it was his shoulder, but it was actually a circulatory thing from his neck."
Mock had never mentioned any previous shoulder or neck issues prior to his demotion.
"He never complained about it before," Rizzo said, "but it came to aRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion
- Many unknowns in Strasburg's latest injury
- Strasburg placed on the 15-day DL with oblique strain
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"
- Nats rolling out special Fourth of July uniforms vs. Giants