Apr 15, 2010, 6:09 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Garrett Mock has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a neck injury that cropped up after the right-hander was optioned to Class AAA Syracuse over the weekend, thus negating his demotion.
Mock, who had remained with the Nationals in order to throw a regular bullpen session Monday in Philadelphia, felt a "twinge" in his right shoulder, general manager Mike Rizzo said, and had to cut the session short. Doctors in Washington then discovered a problem with a cervical disc in his neck, putting pressure on a nerve that went into his shoulder.
"It's a disc thing that put pressure on a nerve," Rizzo said. "He thought it was his shoulder, but it was actually a circulatory thing from his neck."
Mock had never mentioned any previous shoulder or neck issues prior to his demotion.
"He never complained about it before," Rizzo said, "but it came to aRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- Nats begin search for their next manager