Apr 15, 2010, 6:09 PM EST
PHILADELPHIA — Garrett Mock has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a neck injury that cropped up after the right-hander was optioned to Class AAA Syracuse over the weekend, thus negating his demotion.
Mock, who had remained with the Nationals in order to throw a regular bullpen session Monday in Philadelphia, felt a "twinge" in his right shoulder, general manager Mike Rizzo said, and had to cut the session short. Doctors in Washington then discovered a problem with a cervical disc in his neck, putting pressure on a nerve that went into his shoulder.
"It's a disc thing that put pressure on a nerve," Rizzo said. "He thought it was his shoulder, but it was actually a circulatory thing from his neck."
Mock had never mentioned any previous shoulder or neck issues prior to his demotion.
"He never complained about it before," Rizzo said, "but it came to aRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers