Apr 16, 2010, 12:25 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Matt Capps and Ivan Rodriguez celebrate after securing the Nats' 7-5 win.
PHILADELPHIA — Admit it, if someone said two weeks ago the Nationals would open the season 4-5 (with six of those games coming against the Phillies) you would have jumped for joy.
They'd never fully admit it, but there are probably people inside the Nationals' clubhouse who felt the same way, knowing what a daunting path they faced in the season's opening stanza.
Three at home against the Phillies. Three on the road in New York. And then three more on the road at Philadelphia. Throw in the fact they've gotten one quality start from their rotation, own a collective 7.04 ERA, a .233 team batting average and have been outscored 63-40.
Doesn't 4-5 sound pretty good right about now?
"It's encouraging, because I don't think we've played that good of baseball," manager Jim Riggleman said following today's dramatic 7-5 win at Citizens Bank Park. "I think we've played hard. I think we've played with great effort and intensity. But as far as getting the combination of pitching and hitting, we've done that only a couple of times. But we've got four wins. I think we've got to look at that as aRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown