Apr 16, 2010, 10:06 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman is not in the Nationals’ lineup tonight. He hopes to be back in the lineup tomorrow. In other words, it’s pretty much the same story as yesterday. And the day before that. And the day before that.
Actually, that’s not fair. Zimmerman has made some progress in his return from a tight left hamstring. Shoot, the guy came off the bench yesterday in Philadelphia and crushed a two-run homer to right.
But that doesn’t mean he’s quite ready to do everything on a baseball field. Today, Zimmerman took another step toward doing that, fielding a bunch of tough grounders at third base with no trouble and taking a full round of batting practice with no issues.
“I felt great today,” he said.
There’s one last hurdle for Zimmerman to cross. He hasn’t run the bases yet. He’ll probably try to do that before tomorrow’s game, and if all goes well, he could be back in the lineup against the Brewers.
“It feels a lot better every day,” he said. “The biggest thing is, I just don’t want to go all this time, come back one or two days early and then have to start all over again.”
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mark Zuckerman joins STL to talk about Nats' injury problems
- Janssen unlikely for opener with shoulder tendinitis
- Knee injury concerns go next level for Anthony Rendon
- Nats sign veteran outfielder recently cut by Marlins
- Nats trade lefty reliever to Mets for veteran outfielder
- Storen leaves game with blister on big toe
- Mets find lefty relief help in trade with Padres
- Jordan gets chance to face Cardinals
- Report: Mets strill trying to trade veteran starter
- Nats trade veteran catcher to Red Sox