Apr 16, 2010, 10:06 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman is not in the Nationals’ lineup tonight. He hopes to be back in the lineup tomorrow. In other words, it’s pretty much the same story as yesterday. And the day before that. And the day before that.
Actually, that’s not fair. Zimmerman has made some progress in his return from a tight left hamstring. Shoot, the guy came off the bench yesterday in Philadelphia and crushed a two-run homer to right.
But that doesn’t mean he’s quite ready to do everything on a baseball field. Today, Zimmerman took another step toward doing that, fielding a bunch of tough grounders at third base with no trouble and taking a full round of batting practice with no issues.
“I felt great today,” he said.
There’s one last hurdle for Zimmerman to cross. He hasn’t run the bases yet. He’ll probably try to do that before tomorrow’s game, and if all goes well, he could be back in the lineup against the Brewers.
“It feels a lot better every day,” he said. “The biggest thing is, I just don’t want to go all this time, come back one or two days early and then have to start all over again.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game