Apr 17, 2010, 3:07 PM EST
Photo courtesy George Burkes
Justin Maxwell connects for his first homer of the season.
There have been a number of significant dates in Nationals history. April 14, 2005 (the first game at RFK Stadium). June 18, 2006 (Ryan Zimmerman's walk-off homer against the Yankees). Aug. 17, 2009 (Stephen Strasburg signs less than 2 minutes before the midnight deadline).
Here, though, are two more dates of consequence you may not remember: April 4, 2008 and Oct. 1, 2005. What's the significance? The first date represents the last time the Nationals held a winning record (3-2). The latter date represents the last time they had a winning record before that (81-80).
So April 17, 2010 could prove to be a milestone moment in franchise history. With a victory today over the Brewers, the Nats would improve to 6-5. Progress, people, progress.
Unfortunately, your trusty beat writer won't be there to chronicle this momentous occasion in person. I'm taking the weekend off, my first true days off since February. I'll be back at Monday for the start of the Rockies series, but in the meantime, I'm going to put up the traditional gameday thread so all of you can still converse about the day's events.
So enjoy today's game, and perhaps the next time we speak, we'll be talking about a winning ballclub in Washington…
BREWERS AT NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Mostly sunny, 62 degrees, Wind 20 mph LF to RF
CF Nyjer Morgan
2B Cristian Guzman
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- Significant moment No. 10: Roark makes rotation
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series