Apr 17, 2010, 3:07 PM EDT
Photo courtesy George Burkes
Justin Maxwell connects for his first homer of the season.
There have been a number of significant dates in Nationals history. April 14, 2005 (the first game at RFK Stadium). June 18, 2006 (Ryan Zimmerman's walk-off homer against the Yankees). Aug. 17, 2009 (Stephen Strasburg signs less than 2 minutes before the midnight deadline).
Here, though, are two more dates of consequence you may not remember: April 4, 2008 and Oct. 1, 2005. What's the significance? The first date represents the last time the Nationals held a winning record (3-2). The latter date represents the last time they had a winning record before that (81-80).
So April 17, 2010 could prove to be a milestone moment in franchise history. With a victory today over the Brewers, the Nats would improve to 6-5. Progress, people, progress.
Unfortunately, your trusty beat writer won't be there to chronicle this momentous occasion in person. I'm taking the weekend off, my first true days off since February. I'll be back at Monday for the start of the Rockies series, but in the meantime, I'm going to put up the traditional gameday thread so all of you can still converse about the day's events.
So enjoy today's game, and perhaps the next time we speak, we'll be talking about a winning ballclub in Washington…
BREWERS AT NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Mostly sunny, 62 degrees, Wind 20 mph LF to RF
CF Nyjer Morgan
2B Cristian Guzman
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo