Apr 18, 2010, 2:26 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Series sweep? Four-game winning streak? The Nats go for both today.
What an incredible Saturday of baseball that turned out to be. Ubaldo Jimenez throws the first no-hitter in Rockies history. Felipe Lopez pitches a scoreless 18th but the Cardinals still lose to the Mets, 2-1, in a 20-inning marathon that lasted nearly seven hours.
And Livan Hernandez tosses a four-hit shutout, leading the Nationals to an 8-0 victory over the Brewers and a winning record for the first time in more than two years.
Steven over at FJB already noted this, but it's worth repeating: This was only the fourth shutout by a Nats pitcher since the franchise arrived in town. The others: John Patterson (Aug. 4, 2005 vs. Dodgers), Pedro Astacio (Aug. 15, 2006 vs. Braves) and John Lannan (July 21, 2009 vs. Mets). That Astacio game (a 2-hitter by a 37-year-old who didn't make it out of the third inning in either of his next two starts) ranks among the most bizarre events in Nationals history.
Anyways, the Nats will try to make a little more history this afternoon, going for a series sweep of the Brewers, a four-game winning streak and a 7-5 record. I'm wrapping up my weekend of yardwork, household errands and quality time with the wife, so I'll have to leave the game discussion to all of you. But I'll be back at work tomorrow for the start of the series against the Rockies, who all of a sudden have a star right-hander making a highly anticipated start Thursday afternoon on South Capitol Street.
Enjoy your Sunday…
BREWERS AT NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Mostly sunny, 55 degrees, Wind 14 mph LF to RF
CF Willie Taveras
SS Cristian Guzman
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera