Apr 19, 2010, 3:07 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
After two rough starts to his season, John Lannan rebounded Friday night.
Two weeks and 12 games into the season, it's pretty obvious what dictates the Nationals' fortunes more than anything else: starting pitching.
Not that this doesn't apply to just about every team in baseball, but it's been particularly significant to the Nats thus far. With no real exceptions, this club's fate on a given night can be tied directly to the performance of its starting pitcher.
Let's look at each game, with the starter's final line and the end result…
DATE STARTER LINE RESULT Apr 5 Lannan 3.2 ip, 5 er L, 11-1 Apr 7 Marquis 4 ip, 6 er L, 8-4 Apr 8 Stammen 5 ip, 4 er W, 6-5 Apr 9 Mock 3.1 ip, 2 er L, 8-2 Apr 10 Lannan 5 ip, 3 er W, 4-3 Apr 11 Hernandez 7 ip, 0 er W, 5-2 Apr 12 Marquis 4.1 ip, 6 er L, 7-4 Apr 14 Stammen 1.1 ip, 7 er L, 14-7 Apr 15 Olsen 5.2 ip, 4 er W, 7-5 Apr 16 Lannan 7 ip, 2 er W, 5-3 Apr 17 Hernandez 9 ip, 0 er W, 8-0 Apr 18 Marquis 0 ip, 7 er L, 11-7
So, the Nationals have gotten three quality starts so far in 12 games (two by Livo, one by Lannan) and won all three of those games. Their three other wins came when their starter went at least five inningsRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- A reason for each MLB team to be thankful this Thanksgiving
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires