Apr 19, 2010, 3:07 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
After two rough starts to his season, John Lannan rebounded Friday night.
Two weeks and 12 games into the season, it's pretty obvious what dictates the Nationals' fortunes more than anything else: starting pitching.
Not that this doesn't apply to just about every team in baseball, but it's been particularly significant to the Nats thus far. With no real exceptions, this club's fate on a given night can be tied directly to the performance of its starting pitcher.
Let's look at each game, with the starter's final line and the end result…
DATE STARTER LINE RESULT Apr 5 Lannan 3.2 ip, 5 er L, 11-1 Apr 7 Marquis 4 ip, 6 er L, 8-4 Apr 8 Stammen 5 ip, 4 er W, 6-5 Apr 9 Mock 3.1 ip, 2 er L, 8-2 Apr 10 Lannan 5 ip, 3 er W, 4-3 Apr 11 Hernandez 7 ip, 0 er W, 5-2 Apr 12 Marquis 4.1 ip, 6 er L, 7-4 Apr 14 Stammen 1.1 ip, 7 er L, 14-7 Apr 15 Olsen 5.2 ip, 4 er W, 7-5 Apr 16 Lannan 7 ip, 2 er W, 5-3 Apr 17 Hernandez 9 ip, 0 er W, 8-0 Apr 18 Marquis 0 ip, 7 er L, 11-7
So, the Nationals have gotten three quality starts so far in 12 games (two by Livo, one by Lannan) and won all three of those games. Their three other wins came when their starter went at least five inningsRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Tuesday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Tuesday's early games
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals return home for 4-2 over Mets
- Span leaves Tuesday's game with possible injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff