Apr 19, 2010, 3:07 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
After two rough starts to his season, John Lannan rebounded Friday night.
Two weeks and 12 games into the season, it's pretty obvious what dictates the Nationals' fortunes more than anything else: starting pitching.
Not that this doesn't apply to just about every team in baseball, but it's been particularly significant to the Nats thus far. With no real exceptions, this club's fate on a given night can be tied directly to the performance of its starting pitcher.
Let's look at each game, with the starter's final line and the end result…
DATE STARTER LINE RESULT Apr 5 Lannan 3.2 ip, 5 er L, 11-1 Apr 7 Marquis 4 ip, 6 er L, 8-4 Apr 8 Stammen 5 ip, 4 er W, 6-5 Apr 9 Mock 3.1 ip, 2 er L, 8-2 Apr 10 Lannan 5 ip, 3 er W, 4-3 Apr 11 Hernandez 7 ip, 0 er W, 5-2 Apr 12 Marquis 4.1 ip, 6 er L, 7-4 Apr 14 Stammen 1.1 ip, 7 er L, 14-7 Apr 15 Olsen 5.2 ip, 4 er W, 7-5 Apr 16 Lannan 7 ip, 2 er W, 5-3 Apr 17 Hernandez 9 ip, 0 er W, 8-0 Apr 18 Marquis 0 ip, 7 er L, 11-7
So, the Nationals have gotten three quality starts so far in 12 games (two by Livo, one by Lannan) and won all three of those games. Their three other wins came when their starter went at least five inningsRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Biggest key to Papelbon trade is Storen
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1
- Tyler Clippard says chasing down the 'beatable' Nats will be 'a lot of fun'
- Nationals acquire Jonathan Papelbon for minor leaguer
- Werth, Zimmerman activated off DL
- Watching baseball with Obama
- Report: Nats 'making progress' in trade for All-Star closer
- Around the NL East: Are Mets moves enough to catch Nats?
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal