Apr 19, 2010, 3:07 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
After two rough starts to his season, John Lannan rebounded Friday night.
Two weeks and 12 games into the season, it's pretty obvious what dictates the Nationals' fortunes more than anything else: starting pitching.
Not that this doesn't apply to just about every team in baseball, but it's been particularly significant to the Nats thus far. With no real exceptions, this club's fate on a given night can be tied directly to the performance of its starting pitcher.
Let's look at each game, with the starter's final line and the end result…
DATE STARTER LINE RESULT Apr 5 Lannan 3.2 ip, 5 er L, 11-1 Apr 7 Marquis 4 ip, 6 er L, 8-4 Apr 8 Stammen 5 ip, 4 er W, 6-5 Apr 9 Mock 3.1 ip, 2 er L, 8-2 Apr 10 Lannan 5 ip, 3 er W, 4-3 Apr 11 Hernandez 7 ip, 0 er W, 5-2 Apr 12 Marquis 4.1 ip, 6 er L, 7-4 Apr 14 Stammen 1.1 ip, 7 er L, 14-7 Apr 15 Olsen 5.2 ip, 4 er W, 7-5 Apr 16 Lannan 7 ip, 2 er W, 5-3 Apr 17 Hernandez 9 ip, 0 er W, 8-0 Apr 18 Marquis 0 ip, 7 er L, 11-7
So, the Nationals have gotten three quality starts so far in 12 games (two by Livo, one by Lannan) and won all three of those games. Their three other wins came when their starter went at least five inningsRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats