Apr 20, 2010, 6:35 PM EDT
[UPDATE AT 6:34 P.M. -- Read the complete story, with reaction from players and Rockies manager Jim Tracy, at CSNwashington.com.]
Keli McGregor, president of the Rockies since 2001, was found dead in a Salt Lake City hotel room this morning, a devastating blow to a Colorado ballclub that is in the midst of a four-game series against the Nationals.
The cause of McGregor's death is not yet known.
"Words cannot describe the level of shock and disbelief that we all are feeling this morning at the loss of Keli," Rockies owner Charlie Monfort, who was also in Salt Lake City, said in a statement. "Our thoughts, our prayers are with [his wife] Lori and the entire family as we all try to cope and understand how such a tragic loss could occur with such a wonderful man."
Tonight's game at Nationals Park will be played as scheduled at 7:05 p.m. A pregame tribute and moment of silence are expected.
McGregor was an All-American tight end at Colorado State in the 1980s and played in the NFL for the Broncos, Colts and Seahawks. HeRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Aaron Barrett stares down Brandon Barnes
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best