Apr 21, 2010, 2:09 PM EST
File photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg, who made his season debut April 11, is back on the mound this morning.
The Nationals have a firm plan in place for Stephen Strasburg this year. They won't come right out and provide public details, but it's pretty clear the top draft pick will be making about five or so starts at Class AA Harrisburg, then five or so starts at Class AAA Syracuse, then his major-league debut sometime in early June.
Along the way, the organization will be closely monitoring his pitch count and his innings count, all the while trying to limit him at season's end to about 140-150 innings.
It's a detailed plan, and they've accounted for everything. Well, except for one thing: Mother Nature.
For the second time in three outings with Harrisburg, Strasburg is scheduled to pitch in the rain. It happened Friday night, when he had to wait out a lengthy delay, then pitched for 2 1/3 innings, then wasn't brought back following another long delay. And it could be a problem again this morning.
Harrisburg is hosting Reading in a coffee-and-donuts, 10:30 a.m. special. So far, the rain is holding off and it appears the game willRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East