Apr 22, 2010, 2:53 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis has been placed on the 15-day DL with an elbow injury.
[UPDATED AT 11:32 P.M.]
The Nationals have placed Jason Marquis on the 15-day disabled list after an enhanced MRI revealed "floating bodies" in his right elbow, general manager Mike Rizzo said.
Marquis, who was battered around in his first three starts with Washington, posting an 0-3 record and 20.52 ERA, told team officials this morning he was experiencing elbow pain and was unable to fully extend his throwing arm. An arthrogram (an enhanced MRI in which dye is injected in the patient to help doctors detect abnormalities) revealed the loose bodies in his elbow. He'll get a second opinion tomorrow from orthopedist Tim Kremcheck in Cincinnati, but the Nats didn't waste any time placing him on the DL.
Rizzo said the club will promote a starter from Class AAA Syracuse to take Marquis' rotation spot and pitch Friday night against the Dodgers. Right-hander Luis Atilano, who is 2-0 with a 1.64 ERA for the Chiefs, last pitched on Sunday and would line up perfectly to make his big-league debut Friday.
Atilano, a 24-year-old right-hander from Puerto Rico, was acquired by the Nationals in 2006 from the Braves in exchange for veteran first baseman Daryle Ward. Still recovering from Tommy John surgery at the time, Atilano returned strong in 2008 and then worked his way up the Nats' farm system, impressing club officials out of the bullpen thisRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates
- Roark will return to Nats' rotation with Fister out
- Scherzer tries to beat Phillies again
- Nats activate Janssen to make 2015 debut, send Solis to DL
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy