Apr 22, 2010, 4:25 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Wil Nieves congratulates Matt Capps at the conclusion of tonight's 6-4 win.
It could have been a fantastic moment at Nationals Park: Matt Capps on the mound, a 2-2 count on Ian Stewart with the tying runners on base in the ninth inning of a tense ballgame. And when Capps blew a 94 mph fastball past Stewart to seal the Nationals' 6-4 win over the Rockies, fireworks shot from the stadium roof as players exchanged high-fives in the middle of the diamond.
The Nats had just pulled off another in a string of gritty victories and again surpassed the .500 mark.
Too bad hardly anyone was there to see it.
This isn't going to be a screed against local sports fans, and it's not going to be a trashing of a Nationals organization that has brought much of this upon itself following back-to-back 100-loss seasons.
It's more an observation of the state of baseball in the District on the third Wednesday in April. The home club is by no means playing great ball right now, but it's somehow finding a way to win on a regular basis and is doing so in an entertaining fashion that should be captivating the town.
Unfortunately, the Nationals' track record over the last four years has left this organization an afterthought among a population far more interested in whether the Caps beat the Canadiens in Game 4 of their Stanley Cup playoff series (they did) and whether the Redskins willRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'