Apr 22, 2010, 2:59 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ryan Zimmerman clutches his right hamstring after getting hurt in the eighth inning.
When Ryan Zimmerman pulled up lame at second base on a seventh-inning double tonight, the easy assumption was that the Nationals’ No. 3 hitter had re-injured the left hamstring that left him out of the starting lineup five games last week.
Zimmerman, though, may have caught a break. This injury was to his right hamstring, and he said it’s not nearly as serious as the previous one.
“It didn’t feel like the other one,” he said. “It felt more like a cramp. It’s frustrating. I feel like we’re playing well. I’m seeing the ball well, playing well. It’s the last thing you want to happen.”
Zimmerman wouldn’t rule out the possibility of playing in tomorrow’s series finale against the Rockies, but the Nationals may take the cautious approach and hold him out anyway.
“It doesn’t feel anywhere close to as bad as the other one,” he said. “We’ll see how it feels in the morning. Obviously, we’ll lean toward the precautionary side, the same reason we did the other one. But it sucks.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trio of Nationals players becomes free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays
- Nationals roster review: Jordan Zimmermann