Apr 22, 2010, 2:59 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ryan Zimmerman clutches his right hamstring after getting hurt in the eighth inning.
When Ryan Zimmerman pulled up lame at second base on a seventh-inning double tonight, the easy assumption was that the Nationals’ No. 3 hitter had re-injured the left hamstring that left him out of the starting lineup five games last week.
Zimmerman, though, may have caught a break. This injury was to his right hamstring, and he said it’s not nearly as serious as the previous one.
“It didn’t feel like the other one,” he said. “It felt more like a cramp. It’s frustrating. I feel like we’re playing well. I’m seeing the ball well, playing well. It’s the last thing you want to happen.”
Zimmerman wouldn’t rule out the possibility of playing in tomorrow’s series finale against the Rockies, but the Nationals may take the cautious approach and hold him out anyway.
“It doesn’t feel anywhere close to as bad as the other one,” he said. “We’ll see how it feels in the morning. Obviously, we’ll lean toward the precautionary side, the same reason we did the other one. But it sucks.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge