Apr 22, 2010, 2:59 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ryan Zimmerman clutches his right hamstring after getting hurt in the eighth inning.
When Ryan Zimmerman pulled up lame at second base on a seventh-inning double tonight, the easy assumption was that the Nationals’ No. 3 hitter had re-injured the left hamstring that left him out of the starting lineup five games last week.
Zimmerman, though, may have caught a break. This injury was to his right hamstring, and he said it’s not nearly as serious as the previous one.
“It didn’t feel like the other one,” he said. “It felt more like a cramp. It’s frustrating. I feel like we’re playing well. I’m seeing the ball well, playing well. It’s the last thing you want to happen.”
Zimmerman wouldn’t rule out the possibility of playing in tomorrow’s series finale against the Rockies, but the Nationals may take the cautious approach and hold him out anyway.
“It doesn’t feel anywhere close to as bad as the other one,” he said. “We’ll see how it feels in the morning. Obviously, we’ll lean toward the precautionary side, the same reason we did the other one. But it sucks.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels