Apr 23, 2010, 12:48 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Colorado's Ubaldo Jimenez had his way with the Nationals this afternoon.
Livan Hernandez first saw Ubaldo Jimenez pitch late in 2008, during his brief stint with the Rockies, and immediately sensed greatness out of the young right-hander with the cannon arm.
"He's got the stuff to win 20 games every year," said Hernandez, who wound up on the wrong end of a 2-0 pitchers' duel today. "If he continues to pitch like that, he's going to win maybe the Cy Young."
If they voted on such things right now, Jimenez would certainly have a strong case for the award. With his latest gem this evening against the Nationals — 7 1/3 innings of shutout ball — he improved to 4-0 with an 0.95 ERA. Tough to do much better than that, though Roy Halladay actually has (4-0, 0.82, 28 strikeouts, three walks).
Halladay, of course, has been regarded as one of baseball's best aces for a while now. Jimenez has only burst into the mainstream consciousness since his no-hitter in Atlanta five nights ago. Perhaps now everyone else will appreciate just how good this 26-year-old hurler is.
The Nats were plenty impressed with Jimenez, even before he toed the rubber today, but certainly even more after being turned into roadkill by the guy with the 100-mph sinking fastball and an array of offspeed pitches.
"When a guy's throwing like that, you've got to jump on one you like and hope, I guess," said Ian Desmond, who hit two broken-bat comebackers today. "One hundred with sink is not easy to hit, forRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice